QFX from HSBC does not work

Options
When I download my Mastercard transactions from HSBC (bank) and I open the .QFX file into Quicken I get an error message. (Picture below) the .QFX file for my bank accounts all work. The Mastercard .QFX does not work. 2 years ago HSBC told me they "no longer support 3rd Party downloads like Quicken". Which is nonsense because the downloads from my bank accounts work in Quicken. Today I got a different story after calling at least 10 times in the past 2 years. Today HSBC said there is a problem with Quicken with the downloaded file. So whose fault is it HSBC or Quicken and who is fixing this. Entering 75 transactions each month for my Mastercard is a pain in the wazoo!

Comments

• JSchinz
    JSchinz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Picture of the error message.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @JSchinz

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To clarify, the QFX file is specifically provided by the financial institution. If there is an issue or discrepancy with the file that prevents it from opening correctly in Quicken, it is ultimately up to the financial institution to provide a solution. We do not have access to their servers or file/web connect formatting. 

For reference and more information regarding error OL-221 please visit the Help Article below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-message-ol-220-ol-221-ol-222-ol-223-ol-224-ol-225-or-ol-226-when-using-online-services

Hope this provides clarification. Let us know of any other questions or concerns.

-Quicken Paloma
  • JSchinz
    JSchinz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well HSBC says it is the fault of Quicken and Quicken says it is the fault of the QFX file from HSBC. So where does that leave me? I guess it leaves me with entering 70 Mastercard entries each month. I have called HSBC many times about this problem and in the beginning they said they do not support downloading to third parties (ie Quicken) But oddly enough they have a Button "Download" and the chance to choose Quicken QFX file or a .cvs ? file. I keep calling them on this and now their tune has changed and they say it is the fault of the Quicken software. Frustrating.
    Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. I am going to quote your response to HSBC in an email.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello @JSchinz

Thank you for your response. Pardon the frustration caused by this issue. There is an open alert at the moment that seems to be very similar to the issue you are experiencing. Please refer to the open alert linked below.  

Notice, the alert states that either nothing happens or the option to link to an existing account is not available. However, yours specifically give an error code (OL-221).This leads me to believe that the issue is not in reference to the same one as the open alert. For this reason, I recommended reaching out to your financial institution for further assistance. 

Hope this provides clarification. 

-Quicken Paloma

• justmakeitwork
    justmakeitwork Member, Windows Beta, Canada Beta Beta
    Options
    I am not sure if this will help but I am posting it here for others who have similar issues with these OL-221A or OL-221B errors.

Error OL-221A or OL-221B Errors > I have found that these errors occur because the QFX file is missing data or is using incompatible data. It would be nice if Quicken actually gave a useful error message.

ISSUE: HSBCNet QFX files will not import because there is two missing dates values at the end of the file.

SOLUTION:
    1) Open the QFX file in notepad and scroll to the bottom of the file.
    2) Find two fields called: <DTASOF>. These files provide the date of the ending balance.
    3) Add the date in format YYYYMMDD
    e.g. <DTASOF>20220224
    4) Save file and then import

EOF Example...

<LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>7312.35
    <DTASOF>20220224 *** This field was blank
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL>
    <BALAMT>7312.35
    <DTASOF>20220224 *** This field was blank
    </AVAILBAL>
    </STMTRS>
    </STMTTRNRS>
    </BANKMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>

FURTHER TROUBLESHOOTING: If this does not directly fix your issue open the QFX file and delete all but 1 or 2 transactions in the file. This will allow you to isolate which fields are causing the error.

HSBC USA IMPORT ISSUE: I have also discovered in that if you try to import the HSBC USA Bank Account QFX file into the Canadian version of Quicken you get a similar error. This time it was due to the date field being a different format. e.g. The file was using a longer date string such as YYYYMMDDHHMM 202202222400. I had to remove the HHMM from the dates.

Hopefully this helps someone.
  • sucasa
    sucasa Member ✭✭
    Options
    hi everyone, any news on this HSBC download issue? Anyone able to import QFX into Quicken?
This discussion has been closed.