Closed accounts with $0 value are now showing negative balances

Options
Jim Y.
Jim Y. Member ✭✭
Today I noticed 3 closed accounts in Quicken that have negative balances:
1. A former 401K account that has a negative value and securities values negative value.
2. Banking accounts with negative balances.

All the accounts are CLOSED and have NOT been connected with One Step Update for years!! How did negative balances show ?

Comments

• Jim Y.
    Jim Y. Member ✭✭
    Options
    My version of Quicken is Release R38.30 for Windows
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did some transfer transactions in these old accounts vanish because someone changed or deleted their linked counterparts in the transfer-to/from account?
    Can you restore a backup from some time ago, before this happened, to a different file name (taking care NOT to overwrite your currently active data file!). Open the restored file, look at the account's Opening Balance transaction (OB) and write down date and balance. Now compare that to your active data file. Did the OB transaction change or did an additional OB transaction with a different date appear? Correct the OB transaction or delete the extra OB transaction(s) to fix the issue.
  • Jim Y.
    Jim Y. Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi, I just ran a One Step Update today (Sunday) and all the accounts that were closed no longer that have a negative balance now have a $0.00 (zero balance). I did not touch any of those transactions or entries. Just ran One Step Update and the closed accounts now have a zero balance, which is correct.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim Y. said:
    Hi, I just ran a One Step Update today (Sunday) and all the accounts that were closed no longer that have a negative balance now have a $0.00 (zero balance). I did not touch any of those transactions or entries. Just ran One Step Update and the closed accounts now have a zero balance, which is correct.
    Hello "Jim Y", 

Just so I am clear: has the issue with negative balances thus been resolved? I appreciate that you are continuing to follow up with us and update us about the situation.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jim Y.
    Jim Y. Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello, yes the issue is resolved. I had 2 consecutive days with updates correct.

I ran One Step Update today ( Monday, Feb 28) and accounts updated corrected. The closed accounts still have $0.00 balances.

I'm not sure what the root cause was, but things are working as they should. Thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim Y. said:
    Hello, yes the issue is resolved. I had 2 consecutive days with updates correct.

I ran One Step Update today ( Monday, Feb 28) and accounts updated corrected. The closed accounts still have $0.00 balances.

I'm not sure what the root cause was, but things are working as they should. Thanks.
    @Jim Y.,             

That is excellent news; I am happy to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved. We appreciate the time you took to provide us updates and inform us of this turn of events.

Feel free to reach out to the Quicken Community with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared          

This discussion has been closed.