R38.30 freezing up; need previous installation version

Options
deliusfan
deliusfan Member ✭✭✭
I'm running Windows Home 10 19043.1466 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Windows has made me go through a ton of updates lately, so it's been about a week since my last Quicken restart and one step update.

Today, on the last of the series of Windows updates, I restarted Quicken, but it immediately ran an update. I have a habit of liking to open my programs, then run updates whenever possible, but today, it went on its own. Since then, it opens to a mostly white screen, sometimes with a grey bar at the top, and very shortly afterwards I get the "Quicken Windows isn't responding" box. After a bunch of this, I tried reinstalling. Then I went through the "clean reinstall" process. I also renamed all my shared folders to "Troubleshooting" as suggested, turned off Windows Defender and my wifi connection, restarted, reinstalled, but the same thing happens. I've done all the steps and various iterations about ten times now.

I see that both the quicken.exe download and the "mondo patch" are both that same version, 27.1.38.30, so there's no difference using the patch or not. When I reinstall, I can open the program, it briefly shows my accounts, but then gets mad that it doesn't have internet so it makes me turn it back on log in, I get the "success" and "what's new" page, then when I hit the button to resume back to the home screen, the spinning blue wheel starts up again, and then the "isn't responding" dialog box shows up again.

As I see it, I need to install a previous version, but I can't find those anywhere on the website. Can someone direct me to an archive where previous versions are stored? Then I'll wait a few updates and see if that will make a difference before trying to update again. Because of Windows updating and then Quicken updating back-to-back, I cannot be certain that it isn't because of my latest Windows update that these problems are stemming from. But I have to proceed like they aren't for now.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We may update or revert to any release by performing a clean uninstall, installing while disconnected from the internet and applying the appropriate Mondo Patch.  If reverting, I suggest restoring a Quicken file saved prior to updating from the earlier release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.  We may download Mondo patches at: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows, https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has, or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • deliusfan
    deliusfan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I appreciate those links, but I also need an earlier quicken.exe file; the only one available is 27.1.38.30, so a mondo patch I don't think can "downgrade" my version? I found a 38.26 patch version which might be far back enough to help, but will that overwrite my files from 38.30?
  • deliusfan
    deliusfan Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Update: I just tried the above, installing from the only quicken.exe currently available, then patching "down" to 38.26. However, the screen still freezes the moment I log in, and any concurrent attempt to restart the program.

P.S. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years; this is my first complete meltdown of the program. Also the first time it insisted on an update before I restarted the program.
  • deliusfan
    deliusfan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a screenshot of what it looks like after trying to reopen the program when it freezes after completing the reinstall and logging in.
  • smtpdb
    smtpdb Member
    Options
    :s I have been having this problem repeatedly, re: version r27.1.38.30 will not load my database,. I have tried accessing the database from my documents (not syncing with OneDrive) and from my desktop (not syncing with OneDrive). One day I was able to access the database, the next day I am not. I continue to get the error msg "quicken windows not responding. Note, when I make a copy of the database to another PC running an older version of Quicken, the problem does not occur. Note, I am unable to even make a backup of the database. So like deliusfan, I too am experiencing the meltdown repeatedly after 4 days. Help would be much appreciated
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    deliusfan said:
    Update: I just tried the above, installing from the only quicken.exe currently available, then patching "down" to 38.26. However, the screen still freezes the moment I log in, and any concurrent attempt to restart the program.

P.S. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years; this is my first complete meltdown of the program. Also the first time it insisted on an update before I restarted the program.
    To avoid the risk of patching down, you may pull an earlier installation program (R2.12) at: Install For Quicken 2018 - Subscription - QuicknPerlWiz
This discussion has been closed.