Saving Quicken data file online

Options
I've never used Quicken online other than downloading transactions. I've known, in the past, that there was a feature to save my Quicken data to the cloud. I've never really wanted to do that before, but may be considering it now, assuming it is still available and works the way that I want it to.

I've had Quicken installed on my main desktop and my laptop for some time. I do most of my Quicken work from my laptop, but occasionally like to work from my desktop. Of course, this entails moving my Quicken file, then remembering to move the more recent version back to my laptop whenever I'm ready to start using it again. This is inconvenient and runs the risk of losing data, and hard work, by not working with the most recent version of my data file.
Will saving my file to the cloud help with this? Would I be able to use my data file from the cloud, with either computer, in order to insure that I'm always working with the most recent version of my data?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - it's not that kind of Cloud -

The Quicken Cloud stores and transmits your information between Quicken Desktop, Quicken Mobile, and Quicken on the Web.  A Quicken Cloud account is automatically created when you create a Quicken ID, but you do not have to use it. 

Also, the Quicken Cloud is not a backup; you can't restore Quicken data from the Quicken Cloud, and you can't access the Quicken Cloud from anywhere except the desktop and mobile Quicken products.  If you're looking for a cloud backup service for Quicken, please see this information about Dropbox and Quicken.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no such thing as saving your actual desktop file to the Quicken cloud and I don't believe that feature has ever been available.  The Quicken cloud contains only the data (not the file itself) and they refer refer to it as the "data set".  The transaction info in your actual Quicken file gets synced with the cloud (hence the "data set" is updated) and subsequently makes your data available online to be consumed by Quicken's web and/or mobile - if you use any of those two alternative platforms.
    So your Quicken file on your computer is unique and standalone and if you want to use it on another computer, your only option is to do exactly what you already said - moving the file back and forth between the computers.
    And please don't think that since your data is in the cloud, you can use two identical Quicken files on two computers and have them both sync with your single cloud data set - It does not work that way (unfortunately) and your files and data will eventually get corrupted.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Byron Followell
    Byron Followell Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, thank you, that is definitely the information I was looking for. The last thing I want to do is anything that will possibly corrupt my data. I'm already used to moving my data file back and forth occasionally, so it isn't that big a deal to keep doing so. I was just willing to try a different way if one existed, and I thought I'd heard of something previously that might help. However, I do not use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web, so it looks like there is nothing for me anyway.

Thanks again for clearing that up for me.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Note you can use a cloud service like Dropbox or OneDrive to copy your data file between machines just like however you are copying them now using say an external drive or copying over your local network if that is more convenient.

Just don't open the data file from the cloud service folder in Quicken.  Copy it to a folder that isn't in the cloud folder, and then open it there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. In the same idea it is perfectly fine to store the backups in a cloud service folder.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was traveling all of the time on business, the last thing that I'd do before leaving the house was to backup Q to a USB drive.  When I got to my destination, I'd restore Q to the laptop there ... reversing the process when I was heading home at the end of the week.
    That way, I always had the current Q data file with me AND I always had a good backup of that file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.