Update totally changed my balances and made customer invoices into vendor invoices!!!

Penny J
Penny J Member ✭✭
My customer invoices now show they are vendor invoices, and it has totally messed up the Cash on Hand balance where the customers paid but the money hasn't been deposited. I have activity since 2017 that needs to be fixed. How can they be changed back top Customer Invoices?

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    C:\\Users\Penny Brown\Documents\Quicken\ is the recommended location for your Q data file.  NOT in your Win Program  folder.  AND, not in your backup folder.
    On the very top line of your Quicken window, that starts with the red Q logo, what's shown as your filename?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Penny J said:
    My customer invoices now show they are vendor invoices, and it has totally messed up the Cash on Hand balance where the customers paid but the money hasn't been deposited. I have activity since 2017 that needs to be fixed. How can they be changed back top Customer Invoices?
    Hello @Penny J,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with vendor invoices being changed to customer invoices. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community in order to bring this to our attention.

How often do you save backups? Just for reference, this can be done anytime by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Do this frequently as it is essential in data preservation and can be a helpful step in resolving a wide number of issues. Given that backups are being saved regularly, you could restore a backup from just prior to the last update by going to the same menu mentioned before and selecting File > Restore a Backup File.

I look forward to any reply you may be able to provide, should you have the chance to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    You have it backwards; my customer invoices were converted to vendor invoices.

I backup Quicken after every use. I did restore the last backup and the customer invoices are once again customer invoices. Thanks for that suggestion.

Quicken is still not working correctly. The "Unpaid Invoices" report still generates nothing and we have a few customers with unpaid invoices. It still doesn't show some income accounts on some of the reports and they did for our 2020 reports for the accountant, but not on the 2021 reports.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2022
    Hello @Penny J,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    I ran both types of Validate programs and it didn't help. Not only does the Unpaid Invoices report not populate, but the customers' Dues income doesn't show on the Profit and Loss Statement.
  • Quicken Jared
    Penny J said:
    I ran both types of Validate programs and it didn't help. Not only does the Unpaid Invoices report not populate, but the customers' Dues income doesn't show on the Profit and Loss Statement.
    @Penny J

I am sorry that this issue is persisting. Thank you for keeping in contact with us, and for your patience in working with us on this problem.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer.  Be sure that the file is being stored on your computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based service as these latter locations can cause erratic program behavior of the kind you are describing.

I look forward to hearing from you once more, if there are any further updates or information that you wish to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    It shows: C:\Users\Penny Brown\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP
    Penny
  • Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    I'm sorry, the link I provided was the one under my user. The one under my husband's does show it backs up to an external drive. I just manually backed it up to his Documents folder.
  • Quicken Jared
    Penny J said:
    I'm sorry, the link I provided was the one under my user. The one under my husband's does show it backs up to an external drive. I just manually backed it up to his Documents folder.
    @Penny J

I see. Thank you for following up with me, and thank you for explaining the situation further.

Is the issue continuing? If so, I recommend validating the data file that has been moved to the Documents folder. You can do this by first saving a backup and then following the steps provided by @Quicken Anja earlier in this discussion.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any additional updates you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    I got another update today and it once again changed my customer invoices to vendor invoice, so I restored the last backup.
    I ran the validate, but it didn't help. The Profit & Loss Statement still shows no income for this year.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited March 2022
    Penny J said:
    I got another update today and it once again changed my customer invoices to vendor invoice, so I restored the last backup.
    I ran the validate, but it didn't help. The Profit & Loss Statement still shows no income for this year.
    @Penny J,  

Thank you for checking back in with us about this issue. I am sorry to hear that the problem has persisted after running these steps. 

You can copy the data file in a situation like this by first saving a backup, then following the instructions below, in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File
    3. Click Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next
    5. Choose Save Copy
    6. Choose New Copy
    7. Click Ok
    Note that after you have copied the file, be sure that it is also being housed on your computer, and it would be beneficial to run the validation and super validation steps on the copied data file once again.

However, it's also important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I hope to hear back from you once more, should you have the chance to provide any additional updates.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    I have continued to make a backup on a USB device and on the C drive. Still not working correctly, still not showing any income for the year on the P & L report. Since it was reported to Quicken and has not been fixed, I assume this is how it is going to be from now on?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't make that assumption.  First the issue has to be confirmed.  Then it has to be diagnosed and the corrective action identified.  Then any fix has to be implemented.
    It's not as simple as snapping one's fingers ... particularly since one one else has reported this issue.

• Penny J
    Penny J Member ✭✭
    Exactly where should my Quicken data reside on my computer? Under Program Files (x86) or under my user Documents, or somewhere else?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    C:\\Users\Penny Brown\Documents\Quicken\ is the recommended location for your Q data file.  NOT in your Win Program  folder.  AND, not in your backup folder.
    On the very top line of your Quicken window, that starts with the red Q logo, what's shown as your filename?

This discussion has been closed.