Quicken connect vs direct connect reliability

Options
in2ndo
in2ndo Member ✭✭✭
Hello,

For the past 6 months or longer there always seems to be an issue with Quicken Connect and account updating. I've been using Quicken for a very long time and it has become very annoying to deal with this every time I'm trying to update the accounts.
My question is, do you guys know if direct connect would be more reliable?
I only use Quicken to track expenses, income and bills. don't use bill pay or anything else. and Just have a bunch of bank and credit card accounts and a couple of loans.

Running Version 6.6.0 (Build 606.43140.100) on macOS 12.2.1

Thank you.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @in2ndo,

Thank you for contacting the Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with updating accounts and I understand that it can be frustrating especially when it occurs for long periods of time. 

In order to better assist you, I require some more information. Which Financial Institutions are providing you errors in relation to Quicken Connect? Is it all of your accounts? What is the error that occurs when trying to update your accounts? 

I have uploaded a link that discusses the different connection methods that Quicken uses. Direct Connect is a great choice, however, be aware that some Financial Institutions do charge a fee to use Direct Connect with them. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

I hope you find this to be of use and I look forward to hearing your response. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• in2ndo
    in2ndo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the prompt reply Jasmine, I understand that there are going to be times when some account will have an issue. but lately it seems is all of them but not at the same time.
    About a week ago. it was Citibank credit card. ended up changing that one to direct connect. per Quicken support instructions. other times is Logix credit union. and now Capital one 360 checking and credit cards are also having issues. other times is Amex or Unify Credit Union.
    And lately I just get the message it couldn't connect and no error. If I click retry, it connects and updates. this has been happening almost every day.
    Yesterday, and this is kind of a different issue. I turned on Sync under mobile web. and it downloaded something that messed up half the accounts balances. Since I keep the accounts reconciled. I was able to see that nothing new was downloaded just the ending balanced changed. so it was probably the live starting balance. but that doesn't make sense.
    So I ended up having to recover from a back up file and reconnecting all of the accounts. didn't try sync again after that.
    And today, the update issues are still there. I'm loading the Logix error. the other ones already cleared after I clicked fix or retry.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @in2ndo,

Thank you for your thorough response and for including the screenshot. These next steps may be tedious as it is occurring with many accounts and different Financial Institutions, however, they may provide you with a resolution and some much-needed relief. 

Deactivate the accounts:

1. Click the account name in the list displayed down the left side of Quicken, to open the register.
    2. Click the Settings gear in the lower right corner of the register view.
    3. In the next screen, select the Downloads tab.
    4. Click Disconnect Account.
    5. Repeat steps 2-4 for all accounts with the same financial institution.

Reset the cloud data:

1. Go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services.
    2. In the Cloud Account section, click the Reset button.

1. Confirm by clicking Reset again.

Reactivate the account:

1. Click the Add Account button (the plus sign in the Accounts panel).
    2. Type in the financial institution name and walk through the wizard.
    3. Choose LINK on the screen displayed after Quicken finds the available accounts at the financial institution for those login credentials, and carefully link to the existing Quicken account(s).
    4. Click Continue.
    I have also included a link to a support article regarding troubleshooting the download error -28: 

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-28-29-and-32-quicken-mac

I hope you find this to be of use, let me know how it goes!
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• in2ndo
    in2ndo Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Thanks again for the quick reply Jasmine. I had to do that yesterday. when I had the Sync issue and restored from a backup that I had saved prior to turning it on. I don't know if is normal. but is the second time it happens. once I open the back up file and tried updating. I got the message that a cloud account wasn't found. and it gave me the option of creating a new one. so I did. but I know there was one before. because I checked and had reset it already. once I saw the new file under connected services. I deleted the old file and continued reconnecting the accounts.
    Oh and I didn't turn sync back on again. didn't want to deal with all that again... LOL.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @in2ndo,

Thank you for your thorough response, it truly helps in trying to understand what is going on and to be able to work towards a resolution. 

I do have a couple more questions. Why did you decide to restore from a backup? Did you restore from a backup before or after completing the troubleshooting steps that I had previously posted? 

As for the message, "cloud account wasn't found", this can usually be resolved by signing out and then signing back into your data file. Did you try this?

I look forward to hearing your response. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• in2ndo
    in2ndo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I do a manual back up every time I use Quicken. it has happened before, where the auto mode doesn't back up every time.
    Sync had been off for a few months. since there was another issue going on at the time. and I don't have the patience that I used to have. decided to give it another try yesterday. when the sync finished, a few of the accounts had completely different ending balances. Because of past experiences, I run the reconcile every time an account is updated. This way, in case of a problem. it makes it easier to see if any transactions ware re-downloaded.
    When checking the registries. I didn't see any new/duplicate transactions re-downloaded. So I couldn't tell where the problem was. the only thing I can think of. is that the live starting balance was changed for some reason. and that's when I decided to restore the backup.
    Once the backup was restored. all of the accounts except the once from Citibank. ware disconnected. and that's is when I created the new cloud file. after that, all of the accounts had to be reconnected. and the old cloud file deleted .
    Citibank is connected using direct connect instead of Quicken connect. I guess that's why I didn't have to reconnect that one.
This discussion has been closed.