Space bar and Tabbing to next field no longer works on my MAC version of subscribed Quicken

Options
Kathy1965
Kathy1965 Member
I always do the update and install for the latest versions of Quicken. However since November my tabbing to the next and previous fields no longer works. It's only in my Quicken and Quickbooks that this is an issue. I don't have this issue with other software I use. What did you guys change? Can you please fix this. Also adding a new payee won't let me use the space between words. So therefore all my new payees are pushed together.

Best Answer

• Oregon dude
    Oregon dude Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yahoo!! I found a fix, or at least it fixed my problem of space bar and tab not working: On MacBook, go to System Preferences - Accessibility, scroll down to Keyboard, and uncheck 'Enable Full Keyboard Access'. Solved problem with tab and space bar not working, and other issues that have been driving me insane, such as the random insertion of EXTRA spaces between words while typing text. I hope this solution works for you as well.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    (a) This is not Quicken Support, nor Quicken management here.

(b) As you likely know, Quicken and Quickbooks are completely different products, developed and sold by two different companies. If you're having a similar problem in both these programs, it pretty well rules out it being a problem with the program. 

(c) There's no setting in Quicken Mac which would account for your Tab key and your spacebar not working. 

(d) There has been no change in the way Quicken works, so it must be something in your local environment. What version of macOS are you using? And what version of Quicken?

(e) There is a setting in your macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts which has some control over Tab between fields.  It's labeled differently depending which version of macOS you are using, but the keyboard command is Control-F7 to toggle the setting. You can try pressing that once and seeing if it makes any difference; if not, press it again to toggle it back. I don't think this is the culprit, though, because this wouldn't affect the spacebar.

(f) Does the spacebar work in other fields in Quicken Mac, such as Memo/Notes?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Kathy1965
    Options
    The space doesn't work in the notes either. When I press the spacebar it tries to exit the program. Very weird. The toggle of the F7 doesn't do anything either. It's clearly an Intuit issue because I can use the spacebar on everything else other than Intuit. However Turbo Tax works by using the Control Tab and it changed the ability but this doesn't work on Quicken. Very annoying
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Well, Quicken hasn't been owned by Intuit for the past 6 years, so if you're having trouble with Quicken, it's not an Intuit issue. ;)

Since no one else is reporting this problem, I'm convinced it has something to do with your local computing environment. We just need to peel back the layers to figure out what's going on.

Could you answer what version of macOS and what version of Quicken you are using?

Although reinstalling the software rarely solves problems because the software doesn't typically get damaged, I might suggest that here. But if you are having the same problems with Quickbooks software, which is completely separate, then it pretty clearly isn't a problem with the Quicken application being damaged.

What, exactly, happens when you press the spacebar in the notes field. You say it "tries to exit the program." Can you be more explicit? Does a dialog box pop up? Please post the exact text, or better, a screenshot. And are you saying that a spacebar in the notes field does something different than a spacebar in the Payee field? 

Post back, and then I can suggest a few troubleshooting steps to try to isolate this further. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Oregon dude
    Oregon dude Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem. OS: macOS Monterey 12.2; Quicken Deluxe 6.5.3; this is not a user error or a keyboard stuck. Tab and space bar work fine everywhere else except Quicken. Option-space works but what a pain! Haven't found a workable solution for tab yet, so that means I have to place the cursor at the end of each field and hit the delete button multiple times.
  • Kathy1965
    Options
    Oh thank goodness I’m not crazy. I’ve tried everything. I guess I’ll hopefully have Quicken fix this soon or I’ll have to go back to using a desktop version on my HP laptop. Yuck
  • angelaga
    angelaga Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem to Oregon Dude. I'm also on Monterey (12.2.1) and my spacebar does not work as it should, or as it does in other programs. When I want to enter information in the memo section, it will not allow me to type a space. I have to make the entry with no spaces. The Tab bar does not work either. I'm not using the De Luxe version of Quicken, I switched to the Starter version. Tab & Spacebar didn't work properly in the De Luxe version either.
  • Kathy1965
    Options
    That’s exactly my problem. I have I believe the High Sierra latest version.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Three cases now. Too many for it to be just one person's configuration issue. But it's not being reported widely, so there's possibly some odd combination of a change in Quicken code that somehow interacts with a macOS setting or issue that's unique to these three setups.

I'd suggest that all three of you contact Quicken Support and let them screen share with you so you can demonstrate in real time that this is happening. That's probably the best way to get this escalated to the dev team.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Here are a couple of troubleshooting steps you can try:
    1. Create a new user account on your Mac. Log into that account and fire up Quicken, creating a new empty data file. Test to see if the problem occurs there. If not, it would indicate that there's something in your one user account that's causing the issue.
    2. Start up in Safe Mode. Test and see if the problem still exists. If not, it would indicate that there's a third party startup item that's affecting Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Kathy1965
    Options
    Ok I’ll try that
  • Oregon dude
    Oregon dude Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yahoo!! I found a fix, or at least it fixed my problem of space bar and tab not working: On MacBook, go to System Preferences - Accessibility, scroll down to Keyboard, and uncheck 'Enable Full Keyboard Access'. Solved problem with tab and space bar not working, and other issues that have been driving me insane, such as the random insertion of EXTRA spaces between words while typing text. I hope this solution works for you as well.
  • Kathy1965
    Kathy1965 Member
    Options
    Thanks Oregon Dude. That totally fixed it!!!!!! I'm so happy. I appreciate you giving me the answer. It's been months of frustration.!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.