Deposit from split is not in the account

vadimrapp
vadimrapp Windows Beta Beta
In the register of the checking account I have a debit transaction that I categorized as split, and one of the splits is a transfer back to this account. This represents an ACH payment to the mortgage, but it was the last payment and the principal balance was already less than they withdrew, so they send back "the change".
After that I expect to find this deposit in the register, or at least the running balance reflecting it, but it's not there, and running balance is changed by the full amount of the debit, so "the change" is nowhere to be found.
Is this expected?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    vadimrapp said:
    In the register of the checking account I have a debit transaction that I categorized as split, and one of the splits is a transfer back to this account. This represents an ACH payment to the mortgage, but it was the last payment and the principal balance was already less than they withdrew, so they send back "the change".
    After that I expect to find this deposit in the register, or at least the running balance reflecting it, but it's not there, and running balance is changed by the full amount of the debit, so "the change" is nowhere to be found.
    Is this expected?
    Hello @vadimrapp

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community and drawing our attention to this problem. I am sorry you are experiencing this difficulty with split transactions.

Are you entering the transaction manually? First, try to close and reopen Quicken immediately after entering the split transaction details. Occasionally there is a delay in the appearance of the information contained in the split. 

Let us know if this works, should you have the opportunity to check back in with us.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • vadimrapp
    edited March 2022
    Jared, it looks like you misunderstood the question.
    Let's say, the current balance in my checking account XYZ is $100.
    I enter new debit transaction for $50; then I specify it as split of $20 with the category "cash withdrawal", and $30 as "transfer to XYZ", i.e. $30 are transfered back to this very account.
    After I save this transaction, I would expect either Quicken to create separate credit transaction for $30, or at least to show new current balance $80. Instead, it shows new current balance $50, so $30 are nowhere to be found.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would make the $30 as a separate transaction to a real category or mortgage.  Don't try to manipulate the split.  It can be tricky to get the signs going the right way.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• vadimrapp
    There's no problem in the principal going to the mortgage account. And in another case it might be not mortage-related at all. The issue is in the way a transaction or part of the split is reflected in the register. If I record a regular split transaction, and designate part of the split as transfer back to this account - which Quicken does allow - how is this supposed to be reflected in the register?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A self-transfer only has one side, unlike a normal transfer. Nothing is going to appear elsewhere in the register when you enter a self-transfer.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    Then you want the change they sent back to reduce the payment.  So you have to make the net payment a lower amount.  Then the split line would go to the mortgage account or to the interest category.

• vadimrapp
    >A self-transfer only has one side, unlike a normal transfer
    But then shouldn't the running balance remain unchanged?

>
    So you have to make the net payment a lower amount.  
    But the withdrawal from the bank account was for the full amount. If I change the amount, it will be problematic to reconcile it with the bank.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    vadimrapp said:
    >A self-transfer only has one side, unlike a normal transfer
    But then shouldn't the running balance remain unchanged?
    No. The self-transfer is a way to update the balance without any side effects like categorization or a real transfer would entail.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    Let's start back at the beginning.   How did they send back the change?  Don't you need to enter that as a deposit back into your checking account?  Or did they send you a check?  You should just make the original payment that was too much a regular transaction for the original actual amount you sent.  Then deal with the refund separately.   

• vadimrapp
    edited March 2022
    volvogirl said:
    How did they send back the change?  
    By check. I.e. they made ACH withdrawal from the account, used part of it to pay off the loan, and then sent back the check for the change. So when I categorize the withdrawal, one category is final transfer to principal, another the interest, and the 3rd is this change. I think it makes perfect sense to categorize it as transfer back. Although I certainly can categorize it as something like "bank fee" and create another transaction representing the deposit, also "bank fee".
    But let's forget about the split. Let's say, in the register I create a regular transfer to another account, no split. When I do that, Q does create the corresponding transaction in that another "target" account. Doesn't it make sense that if I create the transfer to this same account, Q should do the same, i.e. created corresponding transaction in this account, given that it's the "target"? Why is it different? For example, if I for whatever reason write a check to myself.

• volvogirl
    What did you do with the check?  Did you deposit it into the checking account or another account or just cash it?  

• vadimrapp
    Deposited back into the same checking account the ACH was taken from.
This discussion has been closed.