Quicken Running very slooooow...

domtrump
domtrump Member ✭✭
I have noticed in the past month that Quicken is running very SLOW. I click on something and it could take 4 to 10 (or longer) seconds to complete the action. What is happening? I have a lightning fast Intel Core i7 PC with lots of RAM and an SSD HD. How do I resolve this issue?

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @domtrump

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance, I would recommend performing a Qclean. Before starting the process please ensure you have made a backup of your current file. 

For more information and instructions please visit the link below. Since this is also a lengthy process I would recommend contacting Quicken Support to assist you with the process. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma
  • rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    I've noticed the same thing. Confirming a downloaded transaction takes 2-4 seconds. The qcleanui process seems to be for application install issues. I believe the issue is deeper... I assume quicken is using some database internally, and the problem is with indexes or maybe joints between tables? Myabe core design?

I've been a quicken user for decades (I see some transactions from 1993!) I just looked at the size of my data file 356M! That seems a bit large. Yes, I have a ton of transactions, but each one should only be 200 bytes or less. I've never used the quicken functions to store receipts or other images.

Even with 356M, I have a lot of memory and SSD storage though, so speed probably shouldn't be that much of an issue. Developers need to test with bigger data sets. I bet there are lots of decades-old customers.

I remember at one point, Quicken suggested creating new data files ever year. That defeats the purpose of Quicken IMHO... my life is in that data.. I can search to see when stuff happened!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I have found that I can speed up QWin a bit by applying a few Windows 10 tweaks.
    1. Go into Windows Graphics Settings and set Quicken Windows to high performance. Also enable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling if that option is available.
    2. Free QWin from scrutiny by Windows Defender. I find my Antimalware process goes nuts consuming CPU when Quicken runs. I set Defender to ignore all the folders that Quicken uses as well as the 2 Quicken processes themselves..
    3. Up Quicken's priority in the task scheduler. This involves starting QWin from a command line with the /abovenormal switch. My taskbar shortcut uses this command:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /c start "Quicken" /abovenormal "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe"
    I would be interested to learn whether these hacks help anyone else. And feel free to write back if you have questions about this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    Just tried it.. seems a little faster, 3 seconds to enter a transaction vs 5 or so. Certainly not acceptable.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Has been slooooow for a long time.... hasn't been fixed by Quicken.... Quicken is the only Slooooow running software on both my computers.  

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    rmeden said:
    Just tried it.. seems a little faster, 3 seconds to enter a transaction vs 5 or so. Certainly not acceptable.
    Is this for investment transactions or non-investment transactions?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You can try this:

Make a Backup 1st in case

File Menu/Copy or Backup File
    Click Create a Copy or Template
    HOLD DOWN CTRL AND SHIFT KEY And Click Next
    Yes on Ignore Errors (If you didn't get that screen you didn't have CTRL/Shift so try again}
    Enter the Name of New Copy to Use

If all works (this is an old procedure that they may not keep supporting to keep online connections and do a copy by record to rebuild the file and hopefully correct some errors. If you use SYNC, you should reset cloud also.

If new file is better STAY on it

• rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    Initial results on the file copy are encouraging.... entering a transfer transaction on the old file took 8 seconds, 2 seconds on the copy. I'll look into re-connecting all my accounts.
  • rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    Thanks @miklk after doing the copy and reconnecting all my accounts, everything is about 2 seconds per entry. Not fast, but not terrible.
This discussion has been closed.