Online and register balance way off after downloading from bank

I download monthly without a problem. NOW when I download from my bank, it throws my register balance -$5,252 (over -$11,000 difference) from online bank balance. I asked bank why and they told me to contact Quicken. I have no duplicate transactions. It should have only grabbed from last download but it is like it grabbed from way back farther than that, and again NO duplicated. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @debbiejo58

Do you download ALL of the transactions that appear in your account register (in other words - you have no manual entries in the register)?  If so, and if the balance is showing a negative 5k+ difference, it is possible that the account's opening balance may have been changed or corrupted. To determine if this is the problem, I would suggest that you first review the account's opening balance, to see if it makes sense.  If that looks okay, then I suggest that you review/scan the "Balance" column of the register to see if it dramatically changed at any point in time. That should at least give you an idea of where the problem might be (from a timing perspective) and you could then review transactions around that date to see if you can pinpoint the problem.

I see that you indicated there are no duplicate transactions in your account.  However I would be remiss if I didn't say that duplicate transactions (especially downloaded ones) are often the cause of the problem you are seeing.

Let me know how things work out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.