email and billing [Edited]

Dleegriswold
Dleegriswold Member
edited April 2022 in Before you Buy
So Quicken knows I have an account with them. They send me an email saying RENEW for 40% off. Price shows up as being billed at $31.99, a $20 discount appears in the calculation. I finish and no where did a new price appear. I check my credit card and they have charged $51.99.

I then check the community talk and read the fine print about a new member only. REALLY! A NEW MEMBER does not need to renew.

Now have to call support and cancel.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't condone Quicken's marketing practices.  Their marketing dept seems to be run by a bunch of used car / time share sales personnel.  You cite a prime example of that devious/dishonest aptitude by sending CURRENT users promo emails meant only for new users to entice users to buy at a price they did not intend to and hope that they won't just ignore it and not ask for a refund because it is too much trouble for just $20.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm guessing there may be a simpler and less devious explanation: that you exist in their database more than once. Many of us have had different registrations or QuickenIDs with Quicken over the years, and so while your current QuickenID is being sed for a current subscription, you may exist in their database from previous registrations, and those older instances are what are responsible for you getting the emails to renew.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the point is a "renew" email to existing users that promises a discount that is only valid if they are a new user.  A new user can't renew and a renewing user doesn't qualify for a new user discount.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    splasher said:
    a renewing user doesn't qualify for a new user discount.
    I'm not sure that's correct for users who are registered older (pre-subscription) users. I think that those are the people who get the discount offers.

If I launch an older (pre-subscription) version of Quicken, I see such discounts offered. For instance, I just launched an older copy of Quicken Mac 2016, and this window popped up as soon as the program opened:

That particular data file is registered using an alternate Quicken ID I used to use, but it comes to my regular email account if they send out email solicitations. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.