Quicken Showing Wrong Online Balance

James114
James114 Member ✭✭✭
The ending balance is correct, but the online balance isn't.
It's showing the Online balance only for the reconciled transactions but not taking into consideration the cleared transactions.
All transaction is cleared on the back's web site.

Any way to fix this?
James

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of account is it?
    What bank is it?
    What connection method do you have set up for it?
    Are you getting any error message when you run OSU?  If so, what is it?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    It's CareCredit credit card.
    No errors.
    It's setup for transaction download.
  • James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Wanted to clarify.
    It's setup for 'Express Web' Connect as my other accounts are.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the additional info.
    The first thing that comes to mind is that this might be a timing issue.  Express Web Connect (EWC) connects with Financial Institutions (FIs) at night.  Nighttime is when many FIs do their final system rollups of the day's transactions.  If the EWC connection takes place before the FI rollup is completed, then the data that is downloaded to the aggregator server might not include all of the day's transactions, transactions status changes and/or will not have the latest online balance.  Then when you download the data from the aggregator the data is different from what you will see when you log in to online account.
    If this timing issue is the cause of what you are seeing then it will almost always self-resolve within 12-24 hrs.  I usually will just wait until the next morning and run OSU and then everything usually balances out properly.  But if I have a lot of transactions posting over several days it might take several days for the issue to be resolved.
    What you could do, if you have not already done so:  When OSU has completed running and you notice this online balance issue, you could try doing Update Now (account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update Now).  It is OSU but for just that one account.  Sometimes that will resolve the issue.
    If Update Now doesn't resolve the issue, another thing you could try is Reset Account (account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account).
    You might also want to check to see if you are running the latest version of Quicken.  There was an Online Balance issue back in Nov(?) but that was fixed with one of the more recent versions.  Go to Help > Download Latest Version.  That will either tell you that you have the latest version or will download/install the latest version.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware that Quicken runs this on its own. I was under the impression One Step Update only ran when I initiated it.
    Should I be using a different connection method.
    I've reset the account and ran update several times and the issue remains.
    I have the latest release: R37.67.
  • Boatnmaniac
    EWC is essentially a 2-step process for getting FI updates downloaded into Quicken.  The first part is the aggregator (Quicken) downloading the data from the FI at night.  The second part is when we command Quicken to run OSU which then downloads from that data from the aggregator into Quicken.
    In order for EWC to work, when we set up online access for the FI, the login information is saved on Quicken's server so Quicken can then do the nightly downloads. 
    There are two other connection methods that Quicken offers:
    • Direct Connect (DC):  This is the most secure, most reliable and fastest connection.  Login info is saved only in your Quicken data file on your computer hard drive.  When we do OSU Quicken connects directly with the FI and downloads the data.  It is also a 2-way connection so if the bank supports it we can schedule bill pays and transfers between internal bank accounts directly from the account register in Quicken.
    • Web Connect (WC):  This is when we log into our online account and manually download transactions from there and then import that downloaded file into Quicken.
    You can read up more about these in this Support Article: Connection Types in Quicken [Support Article].
    Most FIs do not support all 3 of these connection methods.  Most will support only 1 or 2 of them.  It's a decision owned solely by the FI as to which connection method(s) they will support and usually they make that decision based upon their perceptions of the cost/benefit to them.  (Yes, it does cost the FI.)
    I will almost always recommend using DC when the FI supports it and the FI does not charge a monthly access fee for it.  Some FIs will charge the Quicken user a monthly access fee so that then becomes a cost/benefit decision for the Quicken user to make.  You will need to check your FI website or call the FI to find out if they will charge a monthly access fee.
    WC is mostly used by Quicken users who do not trust DC and/or EWC.  It can also be used to download older transactions in QFX (or "Quicken") file format that for one reason or another are not already in the Quicken account register even though OSU was just run.  
    CreditCare (a Synchrony credit card) supports only EWC so that is the only connection method option you have.  If you do not want to use EWC you will need to manually manage the account in Quicken.
    Since Reset did not resolve the issue, there is another thing you can try if you wish to:
    1. Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. Deactivate/Reactivate the Account:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Deactivate > Yes > Set Up Now > follow the setup prompts.
    3. During this set up process Quicken might prompt you to decide what to do with the data that gets downloaded from CreditCare.  If this happens, be sure to Link it to your existing account in Quicken (otherwise Quicken will probably set up a new account in Quicken for it).
    4. During this process, Quicken might enter transactions into your account register that are duplicates of transactions that are already there.  If this happens, it will be a 1X occurrence.  The number of duplicate transactions that would be downloaded depends on how many days the FI normally downloads at one time.  This can be 30-60 days but it might be just a few days or it might be more than this.  Duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.
    Let me know if this Deactivate/Reactivate process fixes the issue for you.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    No, it's still the same.
    Even deleted the account a recreated it.
  • James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Also, Quicken is showing version- R37.67.
    But when I go to the Quicken web site the latest release is R38 (something.)
    Why would Quicken tells me I already have the latest version R37.67?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because R37.67 is the latest release "in the wild".  The R38 versions are "staged releases" and not yet fully available.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    James114 said:
    No, it's still the same.
    Even deleted the account a recreated it.
    You might want to try creating a New File (File > New Quicken File).  Give it a unique name (TEST would be a good one to use).  Then do Add Account and try adding CareCredit. 
    The purpose of this is to determine if there might be some corruption in your current file.  If the account cannot be set up in the TEST file then it is a good indication that the problem is not a data file corruption issue.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    I already did that last night. No change.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Scratching my head.  At this point there is one last suggestion you might want to consider doing if you have not already done so:  File > Validate & Repair File.  I think that would be a stretch as a possible fix but at this point I think it would be worth a shot.
    If this doesn't work, then it might be time to contact Quicken Support (phone or chat) or via Help > Report a Problem.  I did not find an open Alert for this issue with CareCredit or Synchrony that I can point you to.  The troubleshooting steps posted here have not resolved the issue.   No one else has piped in on this thread, yet, with some other troubleshooting ideas.  Since the Online Balance is something that is downloaded by the Financial Institution and since this is an EWC connection Quicken Support would be my next step, I think.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    This isn't the only issue I've recently had with Quicken. Time's too short to go into details.
    I have now cancelled my subscription and requested a refund since I re-subscribed for only 2 days.

I want to thank you for your time and effort,
    James
  • RLF3rd
    RLF3rd Member ✭✭
    I've had the same issue with the online balance not being updated with all of my bank and credit card accounts that use Express Web Connect. This has been going on since mid-January. I've reported the problem to Quicken several times and spoke to a customer support rep who assured me that it would be fixed quickly. Since I reconcile most of these accounts to the online balance, reconciliation through that method is no longer possible.

I've also noted that the reconcile feature is not working properly in that for some accounts it tells me that there are "no uncleared items to reconcile." Although this may be true, these accounts have plenty of cleared but not reconciled items. Those of what Quicken should be looking to reconcile. I've reported this problem to Quicken as well.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    What got me was, my auto-renewal was scheduled for the middle of January.
    The card I used didn't have enough funds, so I canceled membership and was going to renew when the funds became available in about 2 weeks. I found that by cancelling and using Starter Edition it rendered my file unusable (read-only)
  • Boatnmaniac
    James114 said:
    What got me was, my auto-renewal was scheduled for the middle of January.
    The card I used didn't have enough funds, so I canceled membership and was going to renew when the funds became available in about 2 weeks. I found that by cancelling and using Starter Edition it rendered my file unusable (read-only)
    That is normal for Starter edition.  Both the EULA that we had to agree to when we first installed Quicken and Quicken's website Data Access Guarantee clearly state that when a subscription expires and is not renewed or if the subscription is canceled Starter will become read-only. Deluxe and higher level editions can still be used manually but all online services (downloads from financial institutions, securities prices downloads, credit score,  etc.) will be discontinued.
    If the subscription is then renewed at a later date full functionality will be restored.

• Boatnmaniac
    RLF3rd said:
    I've had the same issue with the online balance not being updated with all of my bank and credit card accounts that use Express Web Connect. This has been going on since mid-January. I've reported the problem to Quicken several times and spoke to a customer support rep who assured me that it would be fixed quickly. Since I reconcile most of these accounts to the online balance, reconciliation through that method is no longer possible.

I've also noted that the reconcile feature is not working properly in that for some accounts it tells me that there are "no uncleared items to reconcile." Although this may be true, these accounts have plenty of cleared but not reconciled items. Those of what Quicken should be looking to reconcile. I've reported this problem to Quicken as well.

I've seen some posts from Jan (including yours) talking about this issue.  But I haven't seen many and I haven't seen any Alerts posted about it so it hasn't seemed like a prevalent issue.  There was a much bigger online balance issue last Oct/Nov but that was specific to specific Financial Institutions but nothing then that affected all EWC accounts like what you have been experiencing. 
    Who are the FIs for those accounts?
    What kind(s) of account are affected?
    Also, have you tried:
    • Resetting your Cloud Account? 
    • Or deleting your Cloud Account? 
    • Or Signing in as a different user?  (Sign out and then sign back in with your current Quicken ID & PW)

• abonta70
    abonta70 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the exact same issues with online balance not updating, and reconciling difficulties because of it.
  • Chitown
    Chitown Member
    I am having the same issues, even worse since support attempted to help.
  • James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    [Removed - Off Topic/Unhelpful]
  • abhandly
    abhandly Member
    I am having the issue with Bank of America accounts, Schwab accounts and Capital One account. Spent 45 minutes with Quicken support. We did everything above recommended and it failed to correct problem. I do not believe this is a customer specific issue.
  • RLF3rd
    RLF3rd Member ✭✭
    @abhandly. I've been having this issue with any of my accounts that use Express Web Connect since mid-January. Bank of America and Capital One are among those affected. The most immediate problem caused by this is that I can no longer reconcile to online balance. I've submitted problem reports to Quicken at least half a dozen times with no resolution. I'm reluctant to call; I spent way too much time on the phone with Quicken support during the Schwab debacle.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but I believe Quicken Inc still believes that this kind of problem is isolated to a given financial institution instead of a generic problem.  And until they change their point of view about all anyone can do is just keep reporting the problems I guess.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.