How do I add a security to existing taxable/non-taxable accounts?

dgpolvani
dgpolvani Member
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have Quicken's latest Window subscription version R38.30. How do I add a security to my existing taxable and non-taxable accounts?

Best Answer

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like maybe you created that account as a single mutual fund account.  This would mean it can only contain one security.  Right click on the account in the account bar to confirm the details. 

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First you have to add the security to Quicken if you have not done so already.  Go to Tools > Security List (or press Ctrl+Y) to add it.  Once added you need to enter a transaction in the account(s) to purchase the security.  It should mimic what actually happened in your brokerage account(s).
  • dgpolvani
    dgpolvani Member
    Thanks, this worked for my taxable investment account. It does not work for the non-taxable account. For the non-taxable account, I am only able to add, remove, etc. the EXISTING security. I can not add a new security. What do I do to add the new security?
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like maybe you created that account as a single mutual fund account.  This would mean it can only contain one security.  Right click on the account in the account bar to confirm the details. 
  • dgpolvani
    dgpolvani Member
    Thanks, again! Yes. I had created the non-taxable account as a single mutual fund account. As you suggested, I changed the account to hold multiple mutual funds, and I was able to add the new security. Much appreciated!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further note that "Single Mutual Fund" doesn't mean "only one fund at a time" ... it means, "only that one mutual fund EVER".
    So if you sell that fund and buy another, you need to either create a brokerage type account (recommended) or another SMF type account.
    If my fund company (Fidelity Investments) required SMF type accounts, I'd have 40+ such accounts ... 39 of which would be empty & useless.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• dgpolvani
    dgpolvani Member
    Thanks to all. You've answered my questions, and I've learned somethings in the process.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dgpolvani said:  Yes. I had created the non-taxable account as a single mutual fund account.
    what brokerage are you using - ??
    Some brokerages actually force the issue and only allow the creation of a Single Mutual Fund per account.
    My T.Rowe accounts are like that......

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• dgpolvani
    dgpolvani Member
    It is a T. Rowe Price non-taxable mutual fund account. I forgot that when I set the Quicken account up it was setup, to mirror the T.Rowe Price account, as a one fund account.
This discussion has been closed.