Is there a way to get rid of the advertising on the top and side of my software?

Pitpowerman
Pitpowerman Member
edited April 2022 in Before you Buy
I bought an update in 2021 and do not want to continue paying for things I will never use.

Best Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can renew or you'll have to live with it.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7720791/quicken-inc-should-eliminate-or-minimize-the-large-popup-with-expiration-122-legacy-votes

You can also find a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017 since the Quicken data files are all compatible.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    If you have let your subscription expire there will be a banner taking up about 25% of your Quicken screen reminding you to resubscribe.  There is nothing you can do to remove that banner short of resubscribing. 
    You didn't say which edition of Quicken you have and which features you want/need or do not want/need but an option you might want to consider is resubscribing for a downgraded edition.  For example, if you bought Home & Business you could downgrade to Premier, Deluxe or Starter, all of which have lower cost subscriptions.  If/when you do this the banner will go away and there would be no new software to download and install (it's all the same software just with different features turned on/off).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can renew or you'll have to live with it.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7720791/quicken-inc-should-eliminate-or-minimize-the-large-popup-with-expiration-122-legacy-votes

You can also find a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017 since the Quicken data files are all compatible.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    If you have let your subscription expire there will be a banner taking up about 25% of your Quicken screen reminding you to resubscribe.  There is nothing you can do to remove that banner short of resubscribing. 
    You didn't say which edition of Quicken you have and which features you want/need or do not want/need but an option you might want to consider is resubscribing for a downgraded edition.  For example, if you bought Home & Business you could downgrade to Premier, Deluxe or Starter, all of which have lower cost subscriptions.  If/when you do this the banner will go away and there would be no new software to download and install (it's all the same software just with different features turned on/off).

• Pitpowerman
    Pitpowerman Member
    edited February 2022
    I was happy with Quicken. I don't know why I really paid for an updated. Now I have to look at an ad that takes up 15% of the screen? [Removed-Disrutpive]
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought an update in 2021 and do not want to continue paying for things I will never use.
    Which Q product do you currently have ... and what features of it will you never use?
    You MIGHT be able to save some cash by downgrading to a lower level Q product.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitpowerman said: I was happy with Quicken. I don't know why I really paid for an updated. Now I have to look at an ad that takes up 15% of the screen?
    You haven't mentioned it - but if you have STARTER - it will also become READ/ONLY -
    but guess not Starter since you say you are seeing the banner... and haven't mentioned the R/O issue.
    Software can't always be free or forever - if no one paid or donated - there would be none -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• HyruleBalverine
    HyruleBalverine Member ✭✭
    This is absolutely ridiculous. How can they get away with holding a portion of our screens hostage? I get not having access to certain features that need the subscription, but we paid for this program. These are not trial versions or free versions which are paid for by viewing ads. How does Quicken get away with such a shady business tactic?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022
    This is absolutely ridiculous. How can they get away with holding a portion of our screens hostage? I get not having access to certain features that need the subscription, but we paid for this program. These are not trial versions or free versions which are paid for by viewing ads. How does Quicken get away with such a shady business tactic?
    I don't know of anyone who likes the banner or that Quicken has said they will not remove it but it is only "a shady business tactic" if they are not up front about it.  And they are up front about it in the EULA we all had to agree to before we could install Quicken and on their website.   We all need to keep in mind that Quicken is a subscription...we did not buy the rights to the program, we bought a license to use it for a limited period of time...there is a big difference between the two.
    IMO, we should be somewhat thankful that Quicken allows us to continue using the program manually when we do not renew our subscription for as long as our operating system supports it.  Most software subscriptions with other companies (such as Microsoft, anti-virus/anti-malware companies, etc.) will shut off our access to the software entirely once the subscription expires.  Quicken could have done that but they didn't.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @HyruleBalverine This has been around since they switched to the subscription pricing model back in 2017. Their originally-stated plan was that anyone who didn't have a current subscription would only be able to use Quicken in a read-only mode: you'd be able to access your old data and reports, but not add any new transactions. That caused an uproar from users, and their "compromise" solution was to allow users to continue to use the software manually but to take part of the screen space to encourage users to renew their subscriptions. This, too, caused a lot of howls of protest when the first renewals came up, but the company has stuck with this approach for the past 3+ years. They apparently feel that it drives some users to renew their subscription, and to the extent if drives some people away, they're people who had decided not to pay Quicken, so they're not really losing anything.

Although you might feel you own the program, you don't. What you purchased was a license to use the software, and the company sets the terms. Quicken isn't alone in this. Take Adobe, who was one of the biggest pioneers of subscription pricing: if your subscription for Adobe products ends, you can't even launch the programs or access your work. So Quicken is actually better than Adobe because it lets you continue to use the program, just with a few impediments. Microsoft is somewhat similar, making your applications read-only. In the case of Microsoft Office, though, most files can be opened by other non-Microsoft products, so you're not at a dead-end. With Quicken, no other application can open your data file, which is why they allow you to continue to use it to access your data.

In short, while it might feel shady to try to push you to renew your subscription, it's actually now pretty standard practice in much of the software industry. (I'm not saying this is good; it's just the way software sales have evolved over the past decade.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.