New Dashboard - Portfolio Value only shows Brokerage/IRA accounts

kla4503
kla4503 Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
The new Dashboard (Home tab | Dashboard) "Portfolio Value" card's value does not match my Investing total accounts. The difference is that it only includes account types that are Brokerage or a type of IRA. Accounts that I have designated under (edit/delete) | Account Details | Display Options | Account intent as either "Investment" or "Retirement" which were are account type savings or checking are not included in the total the way they are in my other investing views.

There does not seem to be a customize ability to select these other accounts/options.

If I click on the title Portfolio Value, I am taken to the view - Investing Dashboard (Investing tab | Dashboard). There, the total includes my accounts that were designated Investing/Retirement Account intent.

I selected the category: "Investing (Windows)" as I did not see a category for dashboard or views. If it should have been some other category, such as reports, please correct the posting.

Comments

• Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    I have similar issues. The Dashboard Portfolio Value does not match with the Investment Section and it is off by the value of my Roth IRA. Then when clicking $$$ of the "card" then a new window comes up and the portfolio value is correct. I called Q about this and the person began with a "validate data" and deactivate the accounts and then adding them. This was a waste of time since the portfolio data is correct but the reporting on that one "Card" is incorrect by the Roth amount.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    kla4503 said:
    The new Dashboard (Home tab | Dashboard) "Portfolio Value" card's value does not match my Investing total accounts. The difference is that it only includes account types that are Brokerage or a type of IRA. Accounts that I have designated under (edit/delete) | Account Details | Display Options | Account intent as either "Investment" or "Retirement" which were are account type savings or checking are not included in the total the way they are in my other investing views.

There does not seem to be a customize ability to select these other accounts/options.

If I click on the title Portfolio Value, I am taken to the view - Investing Dashboard (Investing tab | Dashboard). There, the total includes my accounts that were designated Investing/Retirement Account intent.

I selected the category: "Investing (Windows)" as I did not see a category for dashboard or views. If it should have been some other category, such as reports, please correct the posting.
    Hello @kla4503,         

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with Portfolio Value and Investing accounts. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for further discussion of this issue. 

Have you downloaded the Mondo patch for Quicken? First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, go to Help > About Quicken in the same upper menu and verify that Quicken is running version R38.29, or the latest updated version. Finally, there is a link in this support article, linked below, where the patch can be downloaded:

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

I hope to hear back from you with any updates regarding the situation, if you have the chance to drop by the Quicken Community once again. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• kla4503
    kla4503 Member ✭✭
    Hello @Quicken Jared

I checked the release: R38.30, build: 27.1.38.30. Backed up dataset, downloaded Mondo Patch, followed instructions, relaunched QW, and guess what?--- exactly the same. The Dashboard card value is different from my Investing total by the amount included in the accounts that are of type Checking and Savings that I wanted included in my Investments as stated in my original post.
  • kla4503
    kla4503 Member ✭✭
    Hello @Phil H.
    For your Roth account -- what is the "Account type" on the General tab of Account Details? My excluded accounts are either Checking or Savings. My Roth IRA is included. It has Account type: "Roth IRA" and contains securities at a brokerage, so was set up that way.
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @kla4503: The account type is Roth IRA for the Roth, Traditional IRA for IRA, and Brokerage for the Non-IRA account. The 3 accounts display the wrong total amount (it does include the RIRA) but it display the correct amount when click the "Portfolio Value" displayed on the Home Dashboard which brings up the Investing Dashboard. SO it's very simple, the value displayed on the HOME DASHBOARD does not include the Roth $$ but the INVESTING DASHBOARD which comes up when clicking the Portfolio Value on the Home page displays the correct amount. Its a bug
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jared
    @kla4503
    I wrote before about issue of the Portfolio value being not correct. kla4503 has the same issue. How do we get this moved up the software bug line?
  • Quicken Jared
    Phil H. said:
    @Quicken Jared
    @kla4503
    I wrote before about issue of the Portfolio value being not correct. kla4503 has the same issue. How do we get this moved up the software bug line?
    Hello @Phil H.

I am sorry that this issue remains unresolved, and that some time passed without a response. Thank you for checking back in with me and inquiring about this matter.

In order to confirm that a software bug is at play, I will need some additional information. Is there any way you would be willing to provide a screenshot of the errors you are witnessing in your application? I am linking a thread below explaining the process of submitting a screenshot to the Quicken Community:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

Please note that you can also drag and drop images into your comment before it has been posted, if this proves to be the simpler method. 

I look forward to working with you on this in the future, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that the problem here is that users cannot select which accounts to include on the Portfolio Value card on the new Home tab Dashboard.

From my limited testing, it looks like card only includes Investing type accounts that currently have a nonzero balance and are not hidden. There is no way to have the card include Banking accounts, even if the Account Intent has been set to Investing.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman
    @Quicken Jared
    Jarad, I'll send screen shots.
    Jim: You select the accounts on the Portfolio page with "Custom" and then select the accounts you want to show up on the Portfolio. The concept is good, it just does not include my RIRA but does on the "Home Investing Total"
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @Quiken Jarad
    @Jim_Harman
    Jarad, the attached two pictures show the issue I see. The Portfolio total on the Home page does not match the Investments total on that Home page. The diff is the value of the RIRA. If you select the Investment tab and select Dashboard then the Values match. Under the Investment->Dashboard you have the option of selecting which accounts you want as part of total. I selected the 3 that I have on the left side. Point of interest is that in ALL the totals in the Investment tab, the total ALWAYS is equal the the Home page and is ALWAYS correct. Its a bug on the Portfolio Total on the Home Page
  • Quicken Jared
    Phil H. said:
    @Quiken Jarad
    @Jim_Harman
    Jarad, the attached two pictures show the issue I see. The Portfolio total on the Home page does not match the Investments total on that Home page. The diff is the value of the RIRA. If you select the Investment tab and select Dashboard then the Values match. Under the Investment->Dashboard you have the option of selecting which accounts you want as part of total. I selected the 3 that I have on the left side. Point of interest is that in ALL the totals in the Investment tab, the total ALWAYS is equal the the Home page and is ALWAYS correct. Its a bug on the Portfolio Total on the Home Page
    @Phil H,    

Thank you so much for keeping in communication with us, and for providing those informative screenshots. I am sorry that this issue seems to be continuing. 

Previously, validating the file was mentioned. Have you also tried supervalidating the data file? First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. For reference, supervalidating a data file is done by performing the steps below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Click Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to reading additional responses you may be able to provide, should you have the opportunity to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jared
    I have done the Super Validate in the past but not for a few months. This time it crashed after I entered my password. Tried to do it again but could not since there was a link to the cloud that was still open. I rebooted but the issue remained. i had to reload a backup to ANOTHER location and it could back in the file and turned off cloud sync. This (crash) happened 3 times but the normal validates work. I'll call support in the AM and see what is happening.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    It is Not a bug. It is a new feature that does NOT allow selecting accounts yet. It simply gets Investment type accounts. The display intend is ignored in the dashboard. I agree this is a needed feature as many people put savings etc.. In Investment Intent and should match
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @miklk
    Good morning. Maybe I just don't understand the diff between Portfolio Value on the Home Dashboard card and Portfolio value in the Investing tab. I had assumed they would match. Can you help explain this?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Phil H. said:
    @miklk
    Good morning. Maybe I just don't understand the diff between Portfolio Value on the Home Dashboard card and Portfolio value in the Investing tab. I had assumed they would match. Can you help explain this?

There are various places one might look at their "portfolio value".  The investing tab (both the portfolio view and dashboard), reports, the "classic home tab dashboard" and the "new home tab dashboard".  In all cases other than the "new home tab dashboard" you have various ways to customize them.

So, in fact none of them are "guaranteed to be the same", it all depends on what they are selecting to view.

One has to wonder about the how Quicken Inc thinks these new cards are going to replace the old ones when they have almost no customization.

To me it seems like they are looking at what they are doing in their Simpifi product and thinking the Quicken users will want the same "dead simple, but not flexible" kinds of graphs.

The bottom line is that they picked what they thought were "what most people would want", and at the moment that means that they didn't take into account the "investment intent".

The investment intent is actually sort of interesting in that in lots of places what they do is allow you to select the accounts, and therefore it isn't really dependent on the "intent".

Personally, I don't think they should be looking at the intent.  What they should allow is selecting whatever accounts the user wants.  That would be much more flexible.

So, currently these "cards" are working "as designed" and picking accounts they feel are what should be in the "portfolio values".  A bug is something that doesn't work as designed.  A feature request is to change it because the feature doesn't fulfill the customer's need.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW
    I agree. The Home Dashboard Portfolio value EXCLUDES the Roth IRA that I have but includes other Retirement and Investment accounts and they are included even if I don't include them as part of the Portfolio. What a Mess! I guess its not a bug, it a feature that makes no sense. 
    I'll drop off this one off my list. I would love to get my Bond data correct but that is to no avail. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing I noticed about the new Home tab Portfolio Value card is that it apparently does not include accounts whose current balance is zero. 

Last year I consolidated some accounts so the old accounts now have zero balances. This makes the Portfolio Value card read way too low before the consolidation, because those accounts are not included.

Another issue with this card is that the names of the time period settings are inconsistent with those used elsewhere in Quicken. "Last year" on the card corresponds to "Last 12 months" elsewhere. Elsewhere in Quicken "Last year" means 1/1 through 12/31 of the previous year.

All in all, it appears that this card needs enhancements and repairs before it is consistent with the rest of Quicken. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I am guessing they will get to adding options such as which accounts to include eventually
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    miklk said:
    I am guessing they will get to adding options such as which accounts to include eventually
    I really wonder about that.  How many times have they started these "facelifts" and such, and left them not 100% to go work on whatever else pops into their heads?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.