renaming rules requiring symbols (Q Mac)

t.linn
t.linn Member
How do I set up a renaming rule for "7-Eleven" or "Amazon.com"? Is there a special way to format these?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What SYMBOL?  Those are all standard characters.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    When creating a renaming rule, when you type a period it interprets that as the end of a tag & starts a new one. Instead of "Amazon.com" you get "Amazon" and "com" as two separate tags. I don't know if there's a way around that.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no period in 7-Eleven.  And if the period is truly an issue, just shorten the renaming rule to Amazon without the .com

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the problem is that the renaming rules use "word matching".  As in the separate things out by "words".  Certain punctuation like commas, spaces, and periods "ends the word".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    NotACPA said:
    There's no period in 7-Eleven.
    The dash does the same thing as the period, as do almost all other symbols. "&" seems to be the only one that you can actually use in a renaming rule.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• t.linn
    t.linn Member
    Thanks, Jon & Chris. The problem I'm having is that a renaming rule with "Amazon" and "com" doesn't seem to recognize Amazon.com, at least not consistently. I can't create a renaming rule including "Arby's" and if I make one with "Arby", it doesn't recognize "Arby's" in the Payee field. But renaming rules containing "7" and "Eleven" does identify and modify "7-Eleven" so I don't know what is going on. That's not the only weirdness I'm seeing. If I have a payee: "[random number] Albertons [random number]" (with the spaces on either side of "Albertsons") and my renaming rule is that if a payee contains "Albertsons", it won't see or change the payee in the example. I cannot figure out what is going on because of the inconsistency.
This discussion has been closed.