how do I undo a payoff transaction in quicken mortgage register?

jakeH
jakeH Member ✭✭
The quicken "auto download" type loan "paid off" my currently-active mortgage in quicken and I do not know how to undo that. It happened after an One-step Update following a Backup/Restore I did about two weeks ago.

Mortgage is not actually paid off and bills are coming due....

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The automatic payoff is some kind of glitch in the system of Quicken getting the information from the financial institution.  This has been reported many times, but with nobody knowing what causes it or how to fix it.

The only “workaround” is to change to a manual entry loan account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jakeH,

Unfortunately, once you've setup a loan account as a "auto download loan" there isn't any way to change it to a regular manual loan.  Your only options are to continue with the download loan until its paid off or delete the loan account altogether and start over with a new manual loan account.  Since Quicken made the choice for you, I suggest that you reestablish the mortgage as a manual loan in Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jakeh, what @frankx reported USED to be true ... but some time back the ability to convert a downloadable loan into a manual loan was created.  See this:

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jakeH
    jakeH Member ✭✭
    @Frankx and @NotACPA ,

Thanks. My question was not clear enough, I guess. Where I would like to see the transactions, but more importantly, in either case, how do I UNDO the automatically entered payoff of the loan? The automatic entry from the One Step Update paid off the loan in Quicken (where it is clearly not paid off at the bank.) I WISH IT WAS! LOL!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The automatic payoff is some kind of glitch in the system of Quicken getting the information from the financial institution.  This has been reported many times, but with nobody knowing what causes it or how to fix it.

The only “workaround” is to change to a manual entry loan account.
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concur  with @Chris_QPW.  Now that you can see the actual transactions, you have to apply the elbow grease to make the corrections.
    There's no genie who can do that for you.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jakeH
    jakeH Member ✭✭
    I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with Quicken these last couple of years. I have decades of data with quicken, but these tiny glitches are creating a huge issue for me having to do manual work I could have done with a good spreadsheet. I will try to convert the file, but assumed a deactivate and reactivate might solve the problem, but it merely blinks and does nothing to correct the account. Beyond frustrated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Once deactivated for downloading of a loan account, you can’t reactivate it.
    Signature:
  • jakeH
    jakeH Member ✭✭
    So the "reset account" doesn't work on loans?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jakeH said:
    So the "reset account" doesn't work on loans?
    I doubt it has it, but I have never had such an account so I wouldn’t know that detail.

See my description of what I believe is going on for downloading loan accounts, and you will see why they are so “fragile “.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20252864/#Comment_20252864
    Signature:
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jakeH,

Unfortunately, the "reset" will not work for this purpose because the download loan isn't comparable to typical download accounts - like bank accounts.  A "download loan" account ignores (doesn't actually download) real transactions - instead it just looks at the loan balance at a point in time and it adjusts to that. 

So to fix where you are at this point - the solution requires the complete "conversion" to a manual loan - almost starting over.

Let me know is you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.