How can I move my old files to Quicken on my new computer? (Q Mac)

John Sr
John Sr Member
I have the new Quicken 6.6.1 version for Mac installed on my new computer. I have already linked my bank accounts but still want to have all the history from the same accounts from my old Mac brought in. I had used manual management in Quicken 2015 and did move my files onto a Usb thumb drive but do not see the path to proceed.
Thank

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    A safer way to move the file is to compress (zip) it on the old machine, transfer to the new machine on the thumb drive, then unzip it there. This alleviates any OS permissions errors that can creep in.

Once you have the .quicken2015 file on the new computer, open Quicken and select menu File > New... You will be presented with a dialog in which you can choose "Start with a Quicken for Mac 2015 file.." Select this option and point the file dialog to the .quicken2015 file you moved over.

Quicken will convert and import this file and you'll end up with a new .quicken file with all your old data.

Now here's where it can get tricky. Hopefully you haven't really been using the new file you created on the new machine. If that's true, you can just abandon it. You may need to set up downloads again in the Q2015 imported file. After doing that, you can bring it up to date by importing transactions.

If you have been using the new file extensively, the it can be possible to merge the files. This is a bit more complicated. If that's what you need, post back and we can talk about that process.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Zip the .quicken2015 file from the old machine (not a backup). If the file is current in Q2015, no need to restore it. You could just copy the file from the thumb drive to the old machine, zip it, then put that on the thumb drive.

Answers

• RickO
    What version exactly of Quicken is the old file running under (menu Quicken > About Quicken)?
  • John Sr
    John Sr Member
    Quicken 2015
    Version 2.9.7 (Build 29.14856.100)
  • John Sr
    John Sr Member
    The file is now on a USB thumb drive. Thx
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    A safer way to move the file is to compress (zip) it on the old machine, transfer to the new machine on the thumb drive, then unzip it there. This alleviates any OS permissions errors that can creep in.

Once you have the .quicken2015 file on the new computer, open Quicken and select menu File > New... You will be presented with a dialog in which you can choose "Start with a Quicken for Mac 2015 file.." Select this option and point the file dialog to the .quicken2015 file you moved over.

Quicken will convert and import this file and you'll end up with a new .quicken file with all your old data.

Now here's where it can get tricky. Hopefully you haven't really been using the new file you created on the new machine. If that's true, you can just abandon it. You may need to set up downloads again in the Q2015 imported file. After doing that, you can bring it up to date by importing transactions.

If you have been using the new file extensively, the it can be possible to merge the files. This is a bit more complicated. If that's what you need, post back and we can talk about that process.
  • John Sr
    John Sr Member
    The new file is from yesterday so I can abandon it. It looks like I should delete the accounts; one by one. Then I'll start over as you suggested. Should I first try to restore the file on the old machine and then zip before I move it, or proceed with what I Have? Thx again
  • RickO
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Zip the .quicken2015 file from the old machine (not a backup). If the file is current in Q2015, no need to restore it. You could just copy the file from the thumb drive to the old machine, zip it, then put that on the thumb drive.
  • John Sr
    John Sr Member
    Thanks for your help. After an interruption, I got back to it and successfully moved it over. All seems to be well and I'll work toward improved processes.
This discussion has been closed.