Membership Expired Message

David Moore
David Moore Member ✭✭
It appears there is no way to get rid of it other than paying for a subscription for something I cannot use or terminating my long time affair with Quicken. I have used Quicken since I had to run it using a 3 1/2" floppy, even taught a class at the local college in Quicken. Well I guess all that is over. Anyone have good alternative for Quicken?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the Quicken Community owned by Quicken, Inc. You won't find any recommendations here. If someone posts one, it will be deleted.

Why can't you continue to use Quicken in manual mode? Or do as suggested and find a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • David Moore
    David Moore Member ✭✭
    If I could find an older version I would do that. I do not want to look at my registered reduced in size because of a commercial. I do not download anything to Quicken from the net, all entries are manual. $52/year would be a waste of money. I paid for the software, that should be enough.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Correction, you paid for a license to use the software under the terms of the EULA. You can still use the software in manual mode.
  • David Moore
    David Moore Member ✭✭
    Yes but a 1/4 of my register is replaced by an ad, top and side. I guess I've always--since DOS days--done the "manual" mode. Don't see why I have to pay $52/yr just to get rid of an ad--Intuit is just sticking it to us long time people figuring we still pay up, not going to happen. Already reviewing alternatives--so far top candidate is highly rated and FREE (never minded buying the new version every few years but not yearly).
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Intuit hasn't owned Quicken in over 5 years. You can get Quicken Deluxe at Staples for $31.99.
  • David Moore
    David Moore Member ✭✭
    That software at Staples isn't some kind of a subscription? I would do that, thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That software at Staples isn't some kind of a subscription? I would do that, thanks.
    It is the Subscription version.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David Moore
    David Moore Member ✭✭
    Yea, I checked. Seems Quicken has got us by the short hairs! Been using Quicken for at least 30 years, hate to give it up but I guess it's time.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I checked. Seems Quicken has got us by the short hairs! Been using Quicken for at least 30 years, hate to give it up but I guess it's time.
    I would suggest that there is another way of looking at this:
    I think we need to be reminded that a software program is not something we ever buy to own (be it a one time payment or subscription), rather it is something we are given the right to use based on the terms of the End User License Agreement (EULA).  So when it expires, the vendor has the right to do whatever they have said in the EULA.  Many vendors completely disable the program or service when it expires - Quicken gives limited use with ads - kudos to Quicken.
    These days a one time purchase is very rare because it is not profitable for them or they may go out of business.  Hence most vendors have moved on to the monthly or annual subscription model to survive or thrive.  So it becomes a personal decision: Do I pay for cable/streaming services every month for enhanced experience, or install an antenna with limited choices and ads.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• David Moore
    David Moore Member ✭✭
    I agree, they can do what ever they damn well please. However, $52/yr is too steep (that is $52 now--if folks keep kicking that in they'll keep going until. . .) I used to upgrade every 2-3 years but do not agree with "contract" they now want so I will shop elsewhere. Just home I'll be able to upload my Quicken data base into the new software--that could get to be a pain.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I'll never understand why anyone would be averse to paying $1/week ($.62/week on sale) to maintain all their financial data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is that Quicken Subscription started in 2018, and now it is 2022, four years later.  What part of "subscription" didn't they understand for all these years?
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    What I don't understand is that Quicken Subscription started in 2018, and now it is 2022, four years later.  What part of "subscription" didn't they understand for all these years?
    Likely until they let their subscription lapse and saw they would have to look at a petty passive aggressive subscription expired message taking up 25% of their screen, they didn't realize the pain they would have to suffer to run in expired mode. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Likely until they let their subscription lapse and saw they would have to look at a petty passive aggressive subscription expired message taking up 25% of their screen, they didn't realize the pain they would have to suffer to run in expired mode. 
    I'll never understand why anyone would be averse to paying $1/week ($.62/week on sale) to maintain all their financial data.
    Combining these two.  I will state what I really think is going on.

For 99.99% of the people this has nothing to do with the money, even if they say it does.
    It has to do with the "principal".

As in, "Why should I pay for something I'm not using?"

For this one, my answer is the same as for the people that think that they should get a custom build for them that has only the features they want in it, for a reduced price.  For the most part, everything provided by Quicken has a fixed cost, whether a given user is using it or not.  As such, whether you are using a given feature or not is irrelevant to Quicken Inc's need to make a certain amount of money to be profitable and stay in business.  If you aren't contributing to that, then in fact you aren't one of their "target customers".  Just as customers from countries other than the US/Canada aren't target customers.  If they want to use it, fine, but they aren't going to go out of their way for this.

And, "Why should they be allowed to use part of my screen space for an ad?"

As far as they are concerned you should be grateful.  They were going to make it all read-only, but reduced that down to only the Starter edition, and the ad, after the customer complaints.  And you aren't their "target customer" anymore.  I remember many a post in the past that said, "I'm a loyal customer, I have been using Quicken 2000 for over twenty years".  And then they would launch into what kind problem they were having.  Well most businesses don't consider you a customer if you aren't paying them pretty frequently.  The exceptions would almost always be for something very expensive, like a car.  Quicken doesn't fall into that category.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    mshiggins said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Combining these two.  I will state what I really think is going on.

For 99.99% of the people this has nothing to do with the money, even if they say it does.
    It has to do with the "principal".

As in, "Why should I pay for something I'm not using?"

For this one, my answer is the same as for the people that think that they should get a custom build for them that has only the features they want in it, for a reduced price.  For the most part, everything provided by Quicken has a fixed cost, whether a given user is using it or not.  As such, whether you are using a given feature or not is irrelevant to Quicken Inc's need to make a certain amount of money to be profitable and stay in business.  If you aren't contributing to that, then in fact you aren't one of their "target customers".  Just as customers from countries other than the US/Canada aren't target customers.  If they want to use it, fine, but they aren't going to go out of their way for this.

And, "Why should they be allowed to use part of my screen space for an ad?"

As far as they are concerned you should be grateful.  They were going to make it all read-only, but reduced that down to only the Starter edition, and the ad, after the customer complaints.  And you aren't their "target customer" anymore.  I remember many a post in the past that said, "I'm a loyal customer, I have been using Quicken 2000 for over twenty years".  And then they would launch into what kind problem they were having.  Well most businesses don't consider you a customer if you aren't paying them pretty frequently.  The exceptions would almost always be for something very expensive, like a car.  Quicken doesn't fall into that category.
    Hogwash! 

Both making the data file read only and putting in an expired message that can't be disabled are petty passive aggressive responses.  Sure it's Quicken Inc's choice, but it doesn't make it a good choice. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @mshiggins Note I was stating what I believe they believe.  Not what I think is a good practice.

Intuit was always more in favor of using the stick than the carrot, and Quicken Inc seems no different.

I personally think that it is a bad way to run a company, but it is their company, not mind.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.