AmEx Authentication Loop

Options
System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chase - Authentication Failure.

Comments

• mlnass
    mlnass Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue with American Express. I'm asked to get a text code and then asked a second time.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @minass

Thank you for contacting the Community regarding this issue, I am sorry that you are experiencing this. 

I would like to start out by asking what exactly occurs when you put the code that you receive into the 2FA? Also, are you receiving any sort of error message?

I look forward to hearing your response. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• OCDave
    OCDave Member
    Options
    It’s happening with my AMEX account too. It sends the text, I enter it for verification, and the account updates. And then it needs to be re-verified with a text code every time Quicken updates the account, desktop and mobile apps alike.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @OCDave,

Thank you for contacting the Community regarding this issue, I am sorry that you are experiencing this. 

What exactly occurs when you put the code that you receive into the 2FA? Also, are you receiving any sort of error message?

Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• OCDave
    OCDave Member
    Options
    Hi there. When I put in the 2FA code from the AMEX text, the account connects and syncs without error. It's just that it does that every time the app is booted, and across all apps - desktop, online, and mobile.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @OCDave,

I am grateful that you are checking back in and keeping me informed about this, and that we can discuss this further. 

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the accounts affected by this issue?

First, be sure to save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup, then select one of the accounts experiencing these symptoms and go to the Settings menu via the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner. From there, you will go to Downloads > Disconnect Account. You will do this for all of the accounts associated with AMEX.

Lastly, you will reconnect the accounts by going to Settings > Downloads and then clicking Connect Account.

I look forward to hearing back from you with any updates about this situation. 

Thanks,

-Quicken Jasmine

• tcburke3
    tcburke3 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    i'm having this same issue. i have done the dissconnect and reconnect and it's still happening. my Chase Business Card is still messed up too. i have a Wells Fargo account that has very little activity but gets the "new activity" every single day, and every single day nothing reconciles and it clears. so many bugs, what are you guys doing?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @OCDave and @tcburke3,

Thank you for your responses and I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. 

Could you please create a test file to see if it still puts in a 2FA loop? You can do this by going to File>New. Then add the accounts that are giving you this error. 

Please let me know what occurs, I look forward to hearing your responses. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• tcburke3
    tcburke3 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    hi Jasmine - regarding Amex, the test file did not require two-factor, but the regular file did (both situations two days in a row). regarding Chase Business Card, the test file did require two-factor, but unlike the regular file was able to download transactions to the account. on the regular file, it won't download any transactions, but it does recognize the balance. if i go to Chase and download the transactions manually, they still don't download to that account, i have a dummy account that takes the manual transactions and i move them over to the proper Business Card account where i reconcile against the recognized balance. it's such a mess. for Wells Fargo, it did not indicate new transactions today even though there weren't any, which is how it should be.

what do you suggest i do about Amex? create an entire new account and copy all transactions over? the account is heavily used since 2014 so i'm a bit concerned. and usually when this happens correcting historical transfers is a major operation. should i do the same for the Chase Business Card? FYI this is Quicken for Mac.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @tcburke3,

Thank you for attempting a test file and for your thorough response. 

Next, I suggest deactivating the account(s) experiencing this error, removing the saved login credentials from the Keychain Access app, and then reactivating the accounts. However, before doing so, I do recommend saving a backup of your data file first (just in case). Then, please check and make sure you do not have any hidden accounts that may be connected to this financial institution.
    1. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts
    2. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution that are checked as hidden in Lists
    After that, please follow the troubleshooting instructions below:
    1. Open the account register and navigate to the Settings gear on the bottom-right corner
    2. Click on the Downloads tab
    3. Click Disconnect Account (if there are more than one account associated with this financial institution, please repeat steps 1 through 3 for each account)
    4. Quit Quicken
    5. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app
    6. On the left panel in the Keychain Access app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords
    7. Search for the financial institution's name in the top-right search field and delete any entries found showing "Quicken password for [your financial institution username] at [financial institution name] "
    8. Quit the Keychain Access app and reopen Quicken
    9. Navigate to Accounts > New and choose the appropriate account type for the accounts that you previously deactivated 
    10. At the bottom of the window showing the list of the financial institutions, click on the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon, then click Update List
    11. Wait for the list to finish updating and Updated: " displays the current date.
    12. Click the Show List button to continue
    13. Use the search field at the top of the list to find and select your financial institution and click Continue
    14. Follow the prompts to sign in using your login credentials associated with the financial institution
    15. If the accounts have been found successfully; use the dropdown menus to link each account to the appropriate account in Quicken
    Let us know how it goes!
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• tcburke3
    tcburke3 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jasmine - this process worked for both cards (finally!). for clarity sake for those reading this thread, disconnecting and reconnecting the accounts was not enough, the password had to be eliminated from the keychain per the steps advised. thanks!
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @tcburke3,

I am so glad to hear that those steps solved the problem!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• OCDave
    OCDave Member
    Options
    Hi Jasmine - apologies for the delay. I followed your instructions to create a new American Express account, and it seems to be working again without prompting for 2FA. I set the account to download all available transactions but it only downloaded transactions for the last pay period - more than that may not be available from AMEX. I guess maybe export the transactions from the old account to a QFX file, and then import into the new account?
  • checkyourmirrors
    Options
    I am also having the same problem and the Disconnect did not solve the problem so I found the Key Chain Application password, however I can't delete it regardless of how I try (Delete Key, Right Click select delete, and Edit/Delete from the menu). Any clue why this would be and I have Admin rights and can delete other Keychain items.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @OCDave,

Thank you for your response, I also apologize for the delay. 

I am happy to hear that you were able to connect to your American Express account and download transactions without being stuck in the 2FA loop. Most banks will only download the last 90-120 days of transactions. If you are wanting to go back further than that then you would need to import a QFX. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @checkyourmirrors

Thank you for contacting the Community. I am sorry that you are experiencing this 2FA loop as well and are unable to delete the saved keychain information. 

Unfortunately, you would need to contact Apple Support for help with troubleshooting the keychain error that you are experiencing. However, I would be happy to try and aid if I can. What occurs when you try to delete it? Do you receive any sort of message?

-Quicken Jasmine

• checkyourmirrors
    Options
    I was able to delete the Keychain and I did a Disconnect, however I am now getting an "Aggregator_in_error (FI_TIMEOUT:FDP-102)" error when I try to connect the two credit cards. I will say that I logged into Amex CC via a Web Browser and needed to confirm and name my device and apply a MFA which is complete new and have to wonder if it is related.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hello @checkyourmirrors,

Thank you for your response. 

An FDP 102 error would be located on your Financial Institution's side rather than an error with Quicken. I think it would be safe to assume that American Express asking you to confirm your device and apply an MFA would be the cause of the error. After you have done this, you may try to reconnect your American Express account(s) again, if you still receive the error, we recommend waiting 24-48 hours and then trying again. 

If the error still occurs, please do not hesitate to reach out for further assistance. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• checkyourmirrors
    Options
    So I was able to connect however even after deleting the Keychain, doing a Disconnect/Connect item I still get the SMS text requirement for my Amex Account.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @checkyourmirrors,

Thank you for your response. I am happy to hear that you were able to connect and download transactions for your American Express account. 

Do you receive the 2-factor authentication every time that you are trying to do the 'update all' procedure? After doing the 2FA procedure does it allow you to continue and download transactions?

-Quicken Jasmine

• checkyourmirrors
    Options
    Seems like a timing issue because this morning I had to get an MFA for Amex. I started Quicken this afternoon and got the MFA. I reissued the update while in Quicken, no MFA and I restarted Quicken and no MFA.
  • checkyourmirrors
    Options
    Any suggestions, other people with similar challenges or something from Amex maybe?
This discussion has been closed.