Stock Splits

Paddy
Paddy Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken doesn't seem to handle stock splits well. What is the best way to add stock splits? Placeholders or other method?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q handles Stock Splits quite well.  One of my securities (that of a former employer) has has many over the years.  Why do you believe differently?
    AND, What stock are you talking about?  What Q product are you running and what BUILD of that product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info;.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the data that brokers download for a stock split is often incorrect. For example, they may download an Add transaction to adjust the number of shares, which will mess up Quicken's records of your cost basis. 

If you see these extraneous transactions downloaded, it is best to delete them and enter a StockSplit manually.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Paddy
    Paddy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    It adds the stock splits that I added manually to the first account to all the accounts that had splits with the same values I added to the first account. All at once. So for example if account 1 had 100 before and 200 after, it adds that value to all my accounts. Is that working as designed? I am not sure. It seems weird.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paddy has 2 threads going on the same subject. My answer in the other thread is the same as @Jim_Harman's in this thread.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a stock splits, it splits in ALL accounts.  There's no such thing as a "split in only one Quicken account".  Such simply doesn't make sense.
    Perhaps your broker is only downloading the "Shares Added" transaction (which is incorrect anyway) in a single account.
    If you'd name the stock, and the broker, we could provide more concrete advice ... but a Placeholder transaction is DEFINITELY the wrong way to go.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.