Inability to import CSV takes 2 stars off Quicken's worth to me.

Qana
Qana Member
I can't believe that when I decide to take up online bookkeeping with a highly reputed software company like Quicken, I discover after investing a year's subscription and hours of entering transactions that this software will not import CSV files. The desktop app appears able to import a variety of formats, but tech support warned me (and my experience confirmed) that I would only actually be able to import QFX and QXF files-- also known as proprietary Quicken formats. My goal was to literally enter transactions for the entire year of 2021. This should not be out of the realm of possible. My bank allows me to export both CSV and OFX formats, both which Quicken Desktop displays as possibilities for import. The tech support agent himself suggested I may have to use third party software to convert the format for import. Really, I actually _paid_ for this? After agonizing over the decision to subscribe, I'm thinking I should have stuck to my Excel worksheet. Does anyone else think this is hack enough as to complain to the BBB? I feel like they're misrepresenting themselves by giving the impression you can easily import everything you need. Can Quicken explain a good reason why they won't support the most available formats for importing financial data? :s

Comments

• Qana
    Qana Member
    Just to clarify, Quicken Desktop displays CSV and OFX files as possibilities for import, but then actually won't recognize them.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QXF files are for converting your information from Win to Mac or Mac to Win, they are not for importing information from your financial institution.
    There is no standard for CSV files created by the financial institution so Quicken don't want to fool around with them and I don't blame them.
    If you want to import CSV files, Google ImportQIF by Quicknperlwiz, it will do a great job of converting your CSV into a QIF file and then trigger Quicken to import it.  It keeps track of the transactions so that duplicates are prevented, it will do renaming of payees and setting the category based on the payee. 
    It is free, oh, and did I say it works great.
    The one downside to QIF imports is that Quicken will not match them to anything that you have entered into the account manually.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOB139 said:
    If they give you OFX try to modify the file like this: https://www.smmware.com/blog/quickbooks-desktop-importing-ofx-files/

Since your bank is supported locate the correct INTU.BID, it should match the <FID> line, if not you may need to add that too. Look for it in the FIDIR.TXT file at C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019
    The downside to this method is that you have to fake the FI so rather than your file indicating bank XYZ, it would show ABC, since Quicken will only import a .QFX file from one of their participating financial institutions.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on how much data the banks offer, you may be able to download older transactions (like last year's) from most banks. Here's more about how to do it:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/missing-some-transactions-when-downloading-bank
    and
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160091/faq-download-old-transactions

This discussion has been closed.