Why is the sale of an asset considered 'Income'?

mbrown0812
mbrown0812 Member ✭✭
I'm selling asset, be a car, real estate, etc and moving the proceeds into my bank account. Why does it show up as income? I have looked for solutions but the only thing I can find is to just filter it out. However, there isn't any way to filter it out of the 'Spending' tab.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If one has an asset account, and then uses a transfer from that asset account to the bank account then it wouldn't show up as income.

If one doesn't have an asset account, then one can use a "balance adjustment" to record the change of balance in the account without having it affect a category or another account.

For that the category would be [Checking Account], if the name of the banking account is "Checking Account".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is that Asset recorded in Q?  How are you moving the proceeds to your checking account?  What are the tax attributes, in Q,  of any account that contains the Asset?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mbrown0812
    mbrown0812 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    The asset is an asset account in Quicken, I am attempting to move the proceeds to my checking account via a transfer. It doesn't seem to matter what tax attribute is used. In every case, I navigate to the 'Spending' tab, look at income and it shows up as income.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The asset is an asset account in Quicken, I am attempting to move the proceeds to my checking account via a transfer. It doesn't seem to matter what tax attribute is used. In every case, I navigate to the 'Spending' tab, look at income and it shows up as income.
    It shows up as "Income" because it's a deposit to your checking account and the Spending tab view cannot filter out transfers.
    In a way, the proceeds of your asset sale are now "income" because at some point in time earlier you had purchased the asset and experienced an "expense".
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To put a simple rebuttal to your "asset is an asset" claim ... if you acquired the asset for $0, and sold it for $1,000 you have $1,000 in income.  That's why the tax attributes of the account containing the asset are significant.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.