Once transactions are downloaded, why can't the same transactions be downloaded and posted again?

RobertSW
RobertSW Member
For instance, I have downloaded data into a register but notice there are one or more existing transactions. Repeating the download yields the same results. I then deleted all of the downloaded transactions for that period, then attempted the download again. Much to my dismay none of the newly downloaded transactions were posted to the register. In fact, only new, not previously downloaded transactions appeared. I find it totally unacceptable to have to reenter the transactions manually.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Once you have downloaded and accepted or deleted a transaction, it will not download again because that would cause duplicate transactions or stick you in a loop downloading transactions you do not want. 

Quicken does not have an "Undo" capability, so to download again, you must restore a backup.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You could also create a new account in your file, set it up for the download (after disabling One Step Update for the initial account), then move the transactions from the new account to the old account and then delete the new account and re-establish One Step Update.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found some old notes in my records ... you may want to give this a try, but do be sure that the account is set to NOT automatically accept downloaded transactions. That's quite likely where your missing transactions come from.

Reset your account Starting Date for downloaded transactions.

1. Go to the Online Center by selecting the Tools menu > Online Center.
    2. In the Online Center hold down the Ctrl key and click Contact Info.
    3. In the Refresh Online Transaction Information window, choose the account you are having problems downloading a full range of transactions.
    4. Click on the Reset DTSTART button.
      Warning: Using this function resets Quickens list of last downloaded transactions. This means that after this button is reset, it is possible you will download several duplicate transactions.
    5. Choose the earliest date of a transaction you are missing and click OK.
    6. Click on the Refresh button.
    7. Attempt to download again.

Answers

• RobertSW
    RobertSW Member
    Make that missing transactions, not existing transactions
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Once you have downloaded and accepted or deleted a transaction, it will not download again because that would cause duplicate transactions or stick you in a loop downloading transactions you do not want. 

Quicken does not have an "Undo" capability, so to download again, you must restore a backup.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You could also create a new account in your file, set it up for the download (after disabling One Step Update for the initial account), then move the transactions from the new account to the old account and then delete the new account and re-establish One Step Update.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found some old notes in my records ... you may want to give this a try, but do be sure that the account is set to NOT automatically accept downloaded transactions. That's quite likely where your missing transactions come from.

Reset your account Starting Date for downloaded transactions.

1. Go to the Online Center by selecting the Tools menu > Online Center.
    2. In the Online Center hold down the Ctrl key and click Contact Info.
    3. In the Refresh Online Transaction Information window, choose the account you are having problems downloading a full range of transactions.
    4. Click on the Reset DTSTART button.
      Warning: Using this function resets Quickens list of last downloaded transactions. This means that after this button is reset, it is possible you will download several duplicate transactions.
    5. Choose the earliest date of a transaction you are missing and click OK.
    6. Click on the Refresh button.
    7. Attempt to download again.

• RobertSW
    RobertSW Member
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful and prompt responses. Now I know why register updates cannot be repeated. Thankfully I am religious about Backing up my daily activity so I only had to go back 3 days to recover that which I deleted. I did not resort to restoring a backup first as I was sure that I had uncovered a "bug." BTW I am always running the latest Quicken release.
This discussion has been closed.