Error CC-501 Huntington National Bank The message is unable to update account because of a error on

Marvin2020
Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
Error CC-501 Huntington National Bank The message is unable to update account because of a error on the quicken server. My Huntington account appears to update properly but I continue to get this error. This is becoming a nuisance.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    You might want to contact Quicken Support as suggested in this Support Article: Error When Using Online Services: CC-501, CC-898, or "It's not your fault" [Support Article].  Quicken also recommends contacting them instead o trying to do Reset Account or Deactivate/Reactivate because those actions can actually make the problem on the server worse.  They should be able to flip a switch of some sort on the server that will eliminate the issue.
    There is perhaps another option you might want to consider:  Your connection with Huntington National Bank, based upon the error code, is Express Web Connect (EWC).  Am I correct about this?  (It will say in the line directly beneath the account name at the top of the Account Register.)  If so, then you can upgrade your connection method to Direct Connect (DC) which is superior and less problematic than EWC.  With DC this server issue will not exist. But I read that Huntington does charge a monthly fee for some types of checking accounts and they might have some special signup/registration and login requirements for their PC Banking service so you might want to discuss it with them before proceeding.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    How long have you been getting this error code?
    Does it happen every time you run OSU of just some of the times?
    When you get this error code, have you tried Update Now (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update Now)?  Update Now will often work after getting this error code.

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    The problem has been taking place for 2 or 3 months. It happens every time. I tried Update Now (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update Now). Update Now doesn't correct the error message. It appears my account is updated properly. It looks like I'm getting a needless error message.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    You might want to contact Quicken Support as suggested in this Support Article: Error When Using Online Services: CC-501, CC-898, or "It's not your fault" [Support Article].  Quicken also recommends contacting them instead o trying to do Reset Account or Deactivate/Reactivate because those actions can actually make the problem on the server worse.  They should be able to flip a switch of some sort on the server that will eliminate the issue.
    There is perhaps another option you might want to consider:  Your connection with Huntington National Bank, based upon the error code, is Express Web Connect (EWC).  Am I correct about this?  (It will say in the line directly beneath the account name at the top of the Account Register.)  If so, then you can upgrade your connection method to Direct Connect (DC) which is superior and less problematic than EWC.  With DC this server issue will not exist. But I read that Huntington does charge a monthly fee for some types of checking accounts and they might have some special signup/registration and login requirements for their PC Banking service so you might want to discuss it with them before proceeding.

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thank You. I did contact customer support at quicken as you suggested. The problem is corrected at this time. If it reoccurs I will try the Huntington connection that you recommended.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  Hopefully the issue will not come back, again.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that one benefit of DC with some banks (and Huntington is one of them) is that you can set up Bank Bill Pay within Quicken and can then schedule bill pay payments from within Quicken so you do not need to write out checks or log into your online account to do it.  Quicken does not charge a fee for this.  And I believe Huntington includes this feature for free or it is included within the monthly PC Banking service fee they might charge.  You can also schedule transfers between Huntington bank accounts from within Quicken.  Very convenient.

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thanks - I will research this option.
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Huntington requires that you sign up for PC Banking in order to use direct connect. The cost is $3 per month. It is supposed to provide a quicker access to your transaction activity. I did sign up for PC banking and then I was allowed to set up direct connect. It appears to have removed the error. If you decide to contact Huntington to enable direct connect (sign up for PC Banking) you will need the information (description) I just provided. Only about 1 in 3 customer service people know this amount of detail. You have to help them help you. Also, Huntington does not have information online regarding features and benefits of signing up for PC Banking so you cannot research this online before you make a decision. So, I guess the features and benefits are basically what I have described above.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Glad to hear that the error has gone away and it's working better for you now.
    Yes, I think your will find DC runs in OSU much faster than does EWC.  And there tends to be far fewer OSU and setup issues with DC.  But it does cost the financial institutions more so most of them go with EWC instead of DC and, of those who do support DC, some will charge a monthly fee to help them cover the additional cost.  But overall, I think you will be quite happy with DC.  (BTW, there are still many banks that do not charge a monthly fee for DC access.  Wells Fargo, PNC and Midlands States Bank are 3 that I use that do not.)
    I did find this link which explains a little of the benefits of PC Banking with Quicken:  https://www.huntington.com/Personal/online-banking/pc-banking.
    And you are right, most customer service people at most financial institutions know little to nothing about Quicken.  Just need to be persistent in pushing to be put in touch with someone who does know something.

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    How do I check off receipts in a checking account before I toss them?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022
    Since you have DC set up, when the transactions are downloaded from the bank you will be given the opportunity to review and accept them before they are entered into the register (as long as you do not have your preferences set to automatically enter them into the register...Edit > Preferences > Downloaded Transactions > After downloading transactions).

When you have reviewed and accepted the downloaded transactions, Quicken will enter them into the register and mark them as Cleared (with a "C" in the "Clr" column).  At this point I usually discard my receipts...unless I have some other reason for keep them (like for returns, warranty, medical expense reimbursement, taxes, etc.)
    Then you have to make a decision, if you have not already done so, on how you will reconcile your checking account.  Whichever option you chose, the Reconcile tool will be used (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Reconcile):
    1)  Manual Reconciliation (the default):  This process reconciles the account using a paper statement.  So the reconcile process takes place once a month.  Some people like to do it this way but I find it to be an old school cumbersome process that does not permit me to confirm my account is in balance for a month.
    2)  Reconcile to Online Balance:  Since you have DC set up I would strongly encourage you to reconcile the account to the account's online balance. 
    • To set this up:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > check the box for "Reconcile using online balance".
    • The first time you run "Reconcile" you will be given the opportunity to check a box to let Quicken automatically reconcile for you.  After you have accepted the downloaded transactions, if Quicken finds no reconciliation issues, all the "C" transactions will be automatically changed to "R" (for "Reconciled").  If Quicken finds a problem it will notify you so you can troubleshoot it or enter a balancing transaction.
    • If you choose not to let Quicken automatically reconcile, then you will need to complete the reconciliation process manually but it is pretty fast.
    • I much prefer using this method (with letting Quicken automatically reconcile) because it is very fast and reconciliation will be completed each time transactions are downloaded.  So you will always know real time if your account in Quicken matches your online account at the bank.
    Does this answer your question?

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Downloaded Transaction Preferences - I left " Automatically add to investment transaction list" Checked. Otherwise, I followed the rest of your advice. Thank You!
This discussion has been closed.