Too Many Errors

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh Member ✭✭
Technology has by-passed this great-grandma and I haven't a clue how to solve s/w problems anymore. I've just been limping along but not solving anything. I get 'unable to open source file' but it allows me to continue and 'Cannot open data file ...turn off cloud storage sync'. I turned off OneDrive (cloud?) but it didn't work. Now I'm stuck with 'Cannot open data file message, so I asking you (someone) for clues.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2022
    Hello @Susan Welsh,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you may be accessing the Quicken file within a folder maintained by OneDrive.   That would be an explanation for the unable to open source file message.  Accessing the Quicken file within a folder maintained by OneDrive may corrupt the Quicken file and is not recommended.

I suggest you attempt to restore the Quicken file from a backup saved earlier.  One way to do this when you're not able to open the default Quicken file is to press the Ctrl key when you open Quicken.  Doing this should open Quicken without opening the Quicken file.  Then, you should be able to select File > Find Quicken Files... which should allow you to locate and open the available Quicken files and Quicken file backups.

Going forward, I suggest you access the Quicken file in a folder on the internal drive that is not being actively maintained by another program.  It is a good idea to maintain the Quicken file backups securely on cloud storage but not the Quicken file you open in Quicken.
  • Nick0131
    Nick0131 Member ✭✭
    This is the kind of answer the moderators should be giving. I don't know for sure if it is correct, but it's a great thought!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nick0131, The SuperUsers such as @Sherlock, were designated as such BY QUICKEN ... and there's a whole lot more of us than there are moderators.
    That's why we answer a whole lot more of these types of questions, and usually answer them more quickly, than do the moderators.
    IF, for some reason, you require an official Q response, or a response that requires changes to your Q/Intuit monetary account ... you can contact Q Support.  SuperUsers can't provide that type of support, but we can provide a GREAT DEAL of other support.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Susan Welsh
    Susan Welsh Member ✭✭
    I removed OneDrive program but was unable to open Quicken data file, I restored it file and ran the validation checks with no problem. It appears that OneDrive is doing alot more than I understand. After restoring I backed up to a 'specific' folder but I don't know how to direct Quicken to open the file from a different source. Question is - Since I've removed OneDrive will the problem continue?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I removed OneDrive program but was unable to open Quicken data file, I restored it file and ran the validation checks with no problem. It appears that OneDrive is doing alot more than I understand. After restoring I backed up to a 'specific' folder but I don't know how to direct Quicken to open the file from a different source. Question is - Since I've removed OneDrive will the problem continue?
    If you have really removed OneDrive, you may not need to move the Quicken file.

The typical location of a Quicken file is in a folder named Quicken in the user's Documents folder.  For example:  C:\Users\skw_5\Documents\Quicken\QData.QDF

One way to move Quicken files to a new folder is to exit Quicken and use Windows File Explorer: press Windows + E.    You may also use Windows File Explorer to rename the Quicken files: select a file and press F2.

One way to direct Quicken to open the file from a different location is to use Windows File Explorer to open the file: select a file and press Enter.

• Susan Welsh
    Susan Welsh Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the great help you guys are outstanding.
This discussion has been closed.