Discover not updating because of "new page or popup"

jlapidus
jlapidus Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Using Quicken on the Web
Problem started this week after many years. I get the above message during one-step update, but there is NO popup or new page. I search high and low on Discover website and found nothing that needs my attention. I then deactivated one-step update. When I attempted to reactivate, I got a similar error message. (No problem with other accounts. Latest Quicken Deluxe version.)
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @jlapidus,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this. 

First, I suggest creating a test file to see if the same error occurs. Below are instructions and a link to a support article that discusses how to create a test file. 

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-create-new-quicken-data-file

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jlapidus
    jlapidus Member ✭✭
    No problem with new test file re Discover direct connect. So, what's next?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited March 2022
    Hello @jlapidus,

Thank you for your response, I am glad to hear that the error did not occur in the test file. 

Could you please provide a screenshot of the error message that you are receiving in your main file? Also, are you using Direct Connect with your Discover accounts in your main file? 

I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• jlapidus
    jlapidus Member ✭✭
    I didn't wait and I proceeded by adding a new Discover account in my regular file, but under an altered account name. Downloading and reconciling were successful. As for the old Discover account, it will remain deactivated. Eventually, it will get hidden and balance excluded when I no longer need to refer to it. Thanks for getting me started.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @jlapidus,

Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear that I could be of assistance and that you were able to come to a resolution (of sorts).

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @jlapidus - I'm glad that you figured out to do that.  That would have been my recommendation for the next step.
    BTW, if you want, you can move all of your transactions from your old Discover account to your new Discover account.
    • Back up your file in case something goes wrong.
    • In the new account, delete the opening balance.
    • In the new account, delete any transactions that are also shown in the old account.  (Or, if you prefer, you can delete these duplicate transactions from your old account, instead.  The important thing is to make sure there is only one instance of each transaction in only one account and no duplication of transactions between the two accounts.)
    • In the old account, left click on the Opening Balance transaction.  Scroll down to the most recent transaction and while holding down the Shift key left click on it.  All transactions should now be shaded.
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transaction and left click on Move Transaction(s).
    • Select the new account the transactions are to be transferred to and then click OK.
    All transactions will be moved to the new account.  Any transfer transactions will be updated accordingly.

After you check to make sure there are no transactions remaining in the old account and that the balance in your new account are correct you can Close or Delete the old account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jlapidus
    jlapidus Member ✭✭
    Here's the screenshot. Yes, I use(d) Direct Connect. Anyway, I solved my own problem through the work-around described previously. Hope the screenshot helps for the future. Thanks again for getting me started. If the screenshot gives you another insight to share, I'd be interested. Have a nice weekend.
  • jlapidus
    jlapidus Member ✭✭
    Hi Boatnmaniac. I had to do something similar with a new SynchronyMC account a few years ago. I have to stop now. If I have anything new to add, I'll do so next week. Have a nice weekend.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @jlapidus,

Thank you for your response and for uploading a screenshot. We are happy to hear that you were able to find a workaround solution for the issue.

Have a great day!

-Quicken Jasmine

• jlapidus
    jlapidus Member ✭✭
    I believe I found the cause of the problem. My Discover account had been on "Express Connect" and used to work with that connection...until it didn't. (Why that happened, I don't know.)

My replacement Discover account on Quicken started with "Direct Connect" and worked. I just tried changing to Express Connect and then the problem reappeared. Although it was not completely intuitive, I managed to switch back to Direct Connect and all seems well.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlapidus - Stay with Direct Connect whenever you have the opportunity.  It is much faster and more reliable than Express Web Connect.  Some banks will change a monthly fee for using Direct Connect with their accounts so if/when that happens you will need to decide whether or not it is worth that cost. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.