Multiple accounts at Fidelity .. both accounts show same balance .. what???

ST
ST Member ✭✭
I have multiple accounts at Fidelity - 401K for me and a 401K for my spouse. Different account numbers, different login accounts and passwords. Suddenly (about a week ago) when I update all accounts, My spouse account updates first and my account updates last which results with my balances showing for both accounts!! What!!
I can manually update spouses account and the balance shows corectly. I have reset both accounts and that does not resolve the issue.
Anyone else have this kind of problem?
I am hesitant to disconnect either account and reconnect for direct connection as in the past that causes loss of history!!

Comments

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ST

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance, you could de/reactivate the account but it is highly recommended to backup your current file before starting the process. This ensures that you have a viable copy just in case. 

When you have a moment please make a backup and de/reactivate your account(s). If you need further instructions on this process please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I have de/reactivated both accounts. One is my 401K and the other is my spouse's 401K. I changed passwords on both accounts before reactivating them. The default connection for both is Direct Connect at Fidelity NetBenefits which points to http://www.401k.com. No change in results.
    During the one step update I could see the first account (alphabetically) update with correct amount and then the second account (alphabetically) would update and the balance for both would change to the second account balance. Perhaps because the second account (alphabetically) has a larger balance??
    I changed the names of the accounts slightly so that the smaller balance account is now second (alphabetically) and now when the one step update executes, the larger account balance updates and then the smaller account balance updates and they reflect the correct balances. Weird!!! So, this is a workaround. The issue started somewhere around the time of the last software update.
    Currently running Quicken Deluxe Version 6.6.0 (Build 606.43140.100) on macOS 12.2.1.
    Perhaps this workaround might be helpful to others that run into this issue.
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    Oh well. The workaround worked one time. Now, the larger account balance is reflected for both accounts.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @ST

Thank you for your response, I am sorry that this error is occurring. I understand your hesitation in deactivating and reactivating your accounts, however, it is a viable solution that can solve many issues. The reason that we have you save a backup before completing these steps is so if anything were to go wrong, then you are still able to go to the last position you were in, with regards to your accounts and history. 

Next, I suggest deactivating the account(s) experiencing this error, removing the saved login credentials from the Keychain Access app, and then reactivating the accounts. However, before doing so, I do recommend saving a backup of your data file first (just in case). Then, please check and make sure you do not have any hidden accounts that may be connected to this financial institution.
    1. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts
    2. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution that are checked as hidden in Lists
    After that, please follow the troubleshooting instructions below.
    1. Open the account register and navigate to the Settings gear on the bottom-right corner
    2. Click on the Downloads tab
    3. Click Disconnect Account (if there are more than one account associated with this financial institution, please repeat steps 1 through 3 for each account)
    4. Quit Quicken
    5. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app
    6. On the left panel in the Keychain Access app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords
    7. Search for the financial institution's name in the top-right search field and delete any entries found showing "Quicken password for [your financial institution username] at [financial institution name] "
    8. Quit the Keychain Access app and reopen Quicken
    9. Navigate to Accounts > New and choose the appropriate account type for the accounts that you previously deactivated 
    10. At the bottom of the window showing the list of the financial institutions, click on the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon, then click Update List
    11. Wait for the list to finish updating and Updated: " displays the current date.
    12. Click the Show List button to continue
    13. Use the search field at the top of the list to find and select your financial institution and click Continue
    14. Follow the prompts to sign in using your login credentials associated with the financial institution
    15. If the accounts have been found successfully; use the dropdown menus to link each account to the appropriate account in Quicken
    Please let me know how this works for you, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I followed all of your suggestion. Deactivated the accounts, removed login credentials from the keychain, reactivated the accounts. I still have the same issue.
    I did a one step update and while it was executing I watched the balances of the two accounts in the sidebar. The first account showed the correct balance. the second account showed the correct balance and immediately the first account changed to show the balance of the second account. At that point, if I click on he incorrect balance and do a Command-U to update it separately it updates to the correct (lower) amount.
    Additionally, I created a new file and added the accounts.
    I added the lower balance first and it reflected corrected.
    I added the higher balance account and it reflected correctly, but the other account change to match the higher balance account balance.
    I have noticed that the dialog for adding the accounts asks for logon id and asks for pin instead of password.
    Whatever the problem is, it is a problem.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @ST

Thank you for your response and for attempting the troubleshooting steps that I provided, however, I am sorry that they did not yield good results. 

When did this error start occurring? Are you saying that the accounts showed the correct balances in the new file? After you completed the steps that I provided, the accounts showed the correct balances and then immediately changed to be incorrect? 

I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    Apparently, the accounts are processed alphabetically and in the case of these 2 accounts the only difference in the account names is an appended name of the person whose account it is. I changed the names for the accounts so that they woud process in reverse order and although at first it looked like that would work, it ultimately did not. I'm wondering if it could be something that changed on Fidelity end of processing. There has to more folks other than me who have multiple accounts at Fidelity 401K. Maybe I should give Fidelity a call but they usually , like other financial institutions, point the finger to Quicken as the culprit.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @ST,

Thank you for your thorough response. 

I do recommend contacting Fidelity to make sure that nothing has changed on their end before we continue to troubleshoot. You would most likely want to ask to speak to a supervisor or a tier 2 representative as they might be more familiar with the Quicken application and its ties to Fidelity. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I will try to contact them today. Meanwhile, another test that I did. I did an update on the account with less money in it via command-U. It displayed the correct amount. I then did an update on the account with more money in it and not only did the account I requested update on update but the other account updated to the higher amount also.
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I contacted Fidelity and after 30 minutes with 2 different people who apparently checked all of the information that they had access to, they say that there have been no hcanges on their side and it must be a quicken issue.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @ST

Thank you for your response. 

Next, I suggest creating a test file and adding the Fidelity accounts to see if it yields the same errors that you are experiencing in your main file. You can do this by going to File>New>Start from Scratch. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I did that earlier and reported the results in earlier post.
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I changed my fidelity accounts to utilize Quicken Connect and no longer have the problem, so that would indicate that the problem is somehow related to direct connect. I really have spent way too much time on this and don't wish to get into it with Quicken support and have to rehash everything that we have already tried. I will give it a few weeks and then revert bact to direct connect to see if the issue has been resolved and maybe then spend some more time on it. Thanks for all of your help in trying to resolve this.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @ST I'd just note that with Direct Connect, you're pulling data directly from Fidelity's servers, so it's likely that the problem is at their end. With Quicken Connect, your data is downloading to a Quicken aggregation server, and then from there to your local Quicken. Quicken Support can get involved with Quicken Connect issues, but generally does not have any control over Direct Connect issues (once a connection is established. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    ST said:
    I have multiple accounts at Fidelity - 401K for me and a 401K for my spouse. Different account numbers, different login accounts and passwords. ...
    I have multiple accounts at Fidelity Net Benefits - 401K for me and a 401K for my spouse. Different login accounts and passwords. From the same employer.

BUT the two accounts have the same account number ... Apparently, in my case there is just one account number (a five digit number) assigned to the employer and so the Customer ID (or associated SSN) serves as the unique account identification.

I use a Customer ID (and not an SSN) to tell Quicken which account it is to connect to. And I enter my password in the PIN field. I am connecting using Direct Connect.

I am not seeing this issue with the higher balance being displayed for both accounts.

I have tried setting up these two 401K's in a test file. I have tried renaming the accounts to reverse the order in the sidebar. I have tried updating all accounts at once, and updating each account independently (Command-U). I tried waiting a day after setting up the test file.

Account updates work as expected ... as they have for years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your post.
    Everything that you say in your post is exactly my situation except for one thing. Regardless of setting up the accounts in a new file or any of several other problem isolation/solving techniques, the anomally of the accounts ending up with the same balance as the larger of the two accounts still happens.
    My accounts have worked properly for years and years too, but now they don't!
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    I finally was able to get the accounts recreated in a fashion that they update and reflect correct balances after a one step update.
    In a new test file I created the two accounts and made sure to create the account with larger balance first.
    During a one step update, you can see the account created first balance update (actually both accounts have the same larger balance at that point) and then the second account created balance updates to correct balance.
    I then used cmd-u to update the second account created (smaller balance) and the balances for both accounts ended up the same (smaller balance).
    I then used cmd-u to update the first account created (larger balance) and the balances for both accounts ended up with their correct balances.
    So, for me, the solution was to delete the accounts from my file (and lost the history) and then add them larger account first.
    Thus far one step update gets correct numbers on the two accounts but user beware if cmd-u is used the result will depend on which order the account was created.
    Sorry for the confusing way I wrote this but it was very confusing to come up with a work around for the issue.
    I am hoping someone at Quicken will see this and fix whatever the real issue is.
  • lhossus
    ST said:
    In a new test file I created the two accounts and made sure to create the account with larger balance first.
    Wonderful. Or at least pretty good ;)
    ST said:
    ... the solution was to delete the accounts from my file (and lost the history) and then add them larger account first.
    To preserve the history:
    1. Be sure you have a backup of your Quicken data file in its current state - just in case.
    2. Restore a backup from before the history was deleted
    3. Disconnect both accounts from downloading transactions.
    4. Create a new 401k account in Quicken for the smaller-balance account.
    5. Transfer the securities from the old smaller-balance account to the new.
    6. Hide the old smaller-balance account.
    7. Reconnect the two active accounts for downloading. (Do the larger-balance account first?)
    8. Test to verify balances are maintained during online updates.
  • lhossus
    lhossus said:
    Transfer the securities from the old smaller-balance account to the new.
    You do this by going to the old account register and adding a transaction with the transaction TYPE of "Transfer shares" and Transfer: All Securities selected.
  • ST
    ST Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Thanks for the info .....
    Problem is, sometimes my solution works and sometimes does not.
    I am familiar with my account balances with Fidelity Netbeneifits so what I have to do when it updates incorrectly is force an update on the account that has the larger balance.
    A real [Removed - Language] to have to check after every update to the accounts to make sure the 2 DIFFERENT accounts don't reflect the same balance.
    Problem is that the difference between the two scenarios (update properly or not) is around a $116,000 error in the balances when the larger account ends up showing the lesser account balance.
    [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]
    This error in processing of account balances could have horrendous impact on decisions in investment directions when the incorrect balances for the two accounts is reflected incorrectly!!
This discussion has been closed.