Why do most of my downloaded transactions have question mark for payee, starting today

I hope this isn't a new feature, because if it is, Quicken has finally lost me. Today, when I downloaded my transactions most of them came back with Payee="?". This happened across 5 checking, savings and credit card accounts. I have never seen this before today.

For one of my credit card accounts the payee had a non-question mark value only 5 of 45 times. The payees are provided on the banks' websites and in their statements, but Quicken is not providing them.

The only remedy I can think of is to go to each of the accounts' websites, locate each transaction and manually replace the question mark with the actual payee. But doing so pretty much renders Quicken's online transaction download feature useless to me.

I'm hoping I did something to cause this, which can be remedied, as I've not seen any other mention of this issue.

Answers

• On the register's downloaded transactions tab if I click Edit it shows the "Revert to <payee>" selection, so Quicken does know the payee, it's just choosing to display "?", I guess because it doesn't have renaming rules for these payees?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    On the register's downloaded transactions tab if I click Edit it shows the "Revert to <payee>" selection, so Quicken does know the payee, it's just choosing to display "?", I guess because it doesn't have renaming rules for these payees?
    Hello @bobped_diego

I apologize for this issue with payee information failing to display. Thank you for bringing this to our attention here on the Quicken Community. 

What version of Quicken are you using, and what platform are you on? You can find your Quicken version by going to Help > About Quicken in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Additionally, where is your current active data file located? You can check this by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I look forward to your replies, should you have the opportunity to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I did another one-step update today (the first since I reported this issue) and all my downloaded txns have payees. In case it helps, Quicken version is R39.23 build 27.1.39.23.

The data file is on my D drive, not in the standard location -
    D:\Users\<me>\Documents\Quicken\qdata2.qdf
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    On the register's downloaded transactions tab if I click Edit it shows the "Revert to <payee>" selection, so Quicken does know the payee, it's just choosing to display "?", I guess because it doesn't have renaming rules for these payees?
    Funny...  My guess would have been that Quicken is matching a renaming rule for "?".

Note: Quicken applies their own set of system renaming rules:

I did another one-step update today (the first since I reported this issue) and all my downloaded txns have payees. In case it helps, Quicken version is R39.23 build 27.1.39.23.

The data file is on my D drive, not in the standard location -
    D:\Users\<me>\Documents\Quicken\qdata2.qdf

There were issues in the staged R39 releases that may have corrupted the renaming rules.  If you haven't already, I suggest you restore Quicken file backup saved prior to the update to R39.  
  • Interesting about the staged R39 releases. Not being familiar with their release process I don't know precisely what that term means - but I can say I have not done a Quicken update since my last one-step update, so the problem seems more transient in nature than associated with my R39 install. I spot-checked a bunch of the renaming rules, when the question marks appeared and again now that the problem didn't recur, and they all look fine to me.

'Tiz a puzzlement for sure.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting about the staged R39 releases. Not being familiar with their release process I don't know precisely what that term means - but I can say I have not done a Quicken update since my last one-step update, so the problem seems more transient in nature than associated with my R39 install. I spot-checked a bunch of the renaming rules, when the question marks appeared and again now that the problem didn't recur, and they all look fine to me.

'Tiz a puzzlement for sure.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: Windows R39.XX Release (US)
This discussion has been closed.