Reconciled accounts with unreconciled transactions included

russww
russww Member ✭✭
A check/charge is listed in the bank register online AND is listed in the Quicken register but that check/charge does not show as reconciled in Quicken yet the reconciled balance in Quicken matches the online bank balance. In other words, Quicken does not appear to be noting a check/charge as reconciled but DOES treat the transaction as if it is reconciled in calculating the Quicken register balance.

I have three transactions that fit the above description. I have confirmed all of them are listed as cleared at the bank, my register balances match between Quicken and the bank, but Quicken does not note the transactions as reconciled. All of them cleared the bank at least 5 days ago.

The account is set to auto-reconcile to online balance. When I manually initiate reconciliation and tag the transactions as cleared the balances do not match between Quicken and the bank.

Any help out there?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @russww,

You could be seeing a recent issue that other users have reported. 

In the register - please take a look at the opening balance.  It is very possible that it has been changed and that opening balance amount will likely be off by the total of those three checks (namely $189.48). If that is the case, you should increase the opening balance by $189.48 and that should fix your current problem. Also it might be a good step to do a file validation once you make the adjustment.

Get back to me on what you find and how the "fix" went.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @russww,

What is the date of the last reconciliation that you performed for the account in question?  Also what is the date(s) that each of the 3 transactions actually cleared the bank?  This sounds like a timing problem to me.  BTW - what is "the bank register online"?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The online balance comes from the financial institution, it has nothing to do with what transactions Quicken considers reconciled or for that matter which transactions will be included in a reconcile.

See this on how Quicken determines if a transaction should be included in a reconcile or not.
    FAQ: How does Quicken determine which transactions qualify for a reconcile? — Quicken

(What out for the "Posting date").

Also note that the "Cleared Balance" you see in the reconcile window is calculated by adding up all your reconciled transactions, and all the cleared transactions on or before the statement ending date.

So, if any of those transactions have changed then this amount will not line up with your bank statement even if you reconciled before.  Note there is an ongoing problem with the Opening Balance of the register being changed in some cases, so if your cleared balance isn't correct, check that first.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • russww
    russww Member ✭✭
    To clarify, I am including a screenshot of the reconcile window. Please note Cleared Balance and Statement Ending Balance match. Also note the three transactions in "payments and checks" which have NOT cleared in Quicken but all show a downloaded posting date. All three transactions cleared the bank on the posting date shown in the reconcile window. The cleared and statement balances are correct. Why did quicken NOT clear these three transactions? When I clear them the cleared and statement balances do not match. I have confirmed there are no duplicate transactions in my quicken register but that is exactly how Quicken is acting.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @russww,

You could be seeing a recent issue that other users have reported. 

In the register - please take a look at the opening balance.  It is very possible that it has been changed and that opening balance amount will likely be off by the total of those three checks (namely $189.48). If that is the case, you should increase the opening balance by $189.48 and that should fix your current problem. Also it might be a good step to do a file validation once you make the adjustment.

Get back to me on what you find and how the "fix" went.

Frankx

• russww
    russww Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Obviously changing the opening balance will allow me to clear the transactions and get balance in the reconcile. But why is quicken not clearing the three transactions during an online account update? If Quicken had cleared the three transactions and then the reconcile did not balance I would understand.

Also, how would the opening balance change anyway?

I compared to an old backup and the opening balance was off by the amount of the three transactions combined. Thank you Frankx for pointing this out as an issue.

BUT I still would like two questions answered:
    1). Why did the opening balance change?
    2). Why did the three transactions not clear during online update?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    russww said:

1). Why did the opening balance change?

It is a known bug.

russww said:

2). Why did the three transactions not clear during online update?
    Don't know why they wouldn't have been cleared (maybe some other bug), but one can easily mark them cleared themselves to finish the reconcile.

If the transactions aren't appearing in the reconcile window, then refer to the link I posted how Quicken determines this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @russww,

You had asked " Why did the three transactions not clear during online update?"

And this is a guess, so don't take it to the bank or ding me for this supposed answer.  I believe that Quicken changed the opening balance BEFORE those 3 checks actually cleared your bank.  So when you actually downloaded them into your datafile, Quicken was not looking for anything to match them to, because Quicken had already "cleared them" when it adjusted the opening balance.  So it viewed them as new transactions that were downloaded but were not in the register yet.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.