How to back up from Quicken windows to Quicken Mac

johnodrake
johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
I am in the process of converting my mobile machine from a Windows laptop to a Mac Book Pro.  I use a Windows desktop for my primary machine and when I travel I use (will use) the Mac.  The question is how do I backup the windows machine to a format readable by the Mac?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Hi John, The process of converting from QWin to QMac is intended as a one-time process. Not everything converts. And the process going the other way is basically broken. It is not going to work for you to switch frequently between QWin and QMac with the same data set.

Your best bet is to install a virtual machine to run Windows on your Mac and work on your QWin file that way when traveling. A word of caution though: be careful about moving your QWin data file between machines. On the Mac side, for example, storing the file sharing service (eg Dropbox) is not supported and usually results in database corruption. I’m not sure about doing so in Windows.

Alternatively, you could leave your Windows machine running at home and log into it remotely using remote access tools to access your file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @johnodrake,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question, I would be happy to help you out. 

Here is a link to a support article that discusses converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. 

Here is a link to a support article that discusses converting to Quicken Mac in more detail. 

I hope you find these to be of use. 
    Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken data files are not really compatible between Windows and Mac. You can convert from Windows to Mac fairly well but Mac to Windows doesn't support investment accounts. You would be better off creating a Windows Virtual Machine on the Mac or using Crossover.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Hi John, The process of converting from QWin to QMac is intended as a one-time process. Not everything converts. And the process going the other way is basically broken. It is not going to work for you to switch frequently between QWin and QMac with the same data set.

Your best bet is to install a virtual machine to run Windows on your Mac and work on your QWin file that way when traveling. A word of caution though: be careful about moving your QWin data file between machines. On the Mac side, for example, storing the file sharing service (eg Dropbox) is not supported and usually results in database corruption. I’m not sure about doing so in Windows.

Alternatively, you could leave your Windows machine running at home and log into it remotely using remote access tools to access your file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to RickO.  That is disappointing.  I guess I will have to figure out how to run a win virtual machine on the Mac or keep on using the Windows Laptop.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @johnodrake The other alternative is to use the Quicken web interface on the Mac. It's not the full-fledged Quicken, but if you want to see and enter transactions when you're away from home, it may be all you need. Your Quicken Windows desktop file syncs to Quicken Cloud, and you log into Quicken Cloud to access your data. Transactions you enter or edit on Quicken Cloud will sync back to your Windows desktop data file next time you use it.

This advice comes with a caveat: while the Quicken Cloud syncing works, it seems to be the source of more user problems with Quicken than any other feature. I'm a Mac user, so I read there Mac sections on this forum and don't know if the problems are as prevalent with Quicken Windows, but I know many of the longtime users here avoid Quicken Cloud to avoid problems.

This feature is designed for users who want to use Quicken just as you do, so I'm not saying you shouldn't use it; I'm only saying to be aware some users have problems with syncing back and forth. If you do use it, make sure you have robust backups (frequent and going back in time for weeks or months) in case you run into any problems. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.