Morgan Stanley and their Platinum Plus Account

I am moving my checking from Bank of America to Morgan Stanley's Platinum Plus account. It works just like a checking account. However, I noticed two issues with how Quicken handles the account. First when I edit the account to show Account Intent on the third tab of Edit/Delete account option, I only have two choices: Investment or Retirement. I cannot identify this as a spending account like my other checking accounts. Also, it appears, on download, the transactions download like securities. I do not have the same screens as I do in a normal checking account. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @Steve Palm Springs

When you setup the account, you need to be careful to select "Morgan Stanley Cash Management" - see the Snip below.  This will identify the account as properly as a checking/spending account.  You'll need to delete the account you already setup and then connect to "Cash Management".

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @Steve Palm Springs

When you setup the account, you need to be careful to select "Morgan Stanley Cash Management" - see the Snip below.  This will identify the account as properly as a checking/spending account.  You'll need to delete the account you already setup and then connect to "Cash Management".

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Wow..thank you Frank! It worked. Very much appreciate your assistance!
  • Frank today I attempted to download and the online setup was no longer in the system. I input again. Now the account comes up with "DO NOT ADD TO QUICKEN". There is not any other choice avaialble. Would you be able to assist once again? Thank you
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Steve Palm Springs

Can you provide some additional information?  Here's what we need to know:
    • when you say "online setup was no longer in the system" can you be more specific as to what you are seeing - e.g. is the "Online Services" tab missing from the "Account  Details" popup screen?
    • are you seeing any error codes?  If so which one(s)?
    • what were you doing (or when do you see) when the "DO NOT ADD TO QUICKEN" warning appears?
    • do you have a good recent backup?
    • which version of Quicken are you running?
    Get back to us and we'll see if we can sort this out.

Frankx

• Frank -(1)When I right click on the account, selected the second tab for online services, the setup I input yesterday is no longer present (2) There are no error codes (3)Here is what I was doing: I reentered the online login ID and password for the account, entered connect and the account comes back from Morgan Stanley with DO NOT ADD TO QUICKEN as the only option (there is not an ability to enter it) (4) Yes I backup every day (5) Version R39.23 Build 27.1.39.23 Thank you!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

It doesn't make sense that both a) "the setup" from yesterday is missing, and b) then "the account comes back... DO NOT ADD...".  This last message would seem to indicate that the setup is still there. 

I'd suggesting making a new backup file now (just in case) and then restoring yesterday's backup (which I assume was after you were successful adding the account).

After you do that take a look again at the Online Services tab for that MS account to make sure that it indicates it is "connected". It should say "... the account is setup for transaction download".  And if that looks right, I'd try updating just that account from the register by clicking on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and then selecting "Update Now"

Frankx

• Frank-so strange. I loaded my last two backups and both did not contain any of the login informaiton I setup for the account. I am going to try two more steps: (1) wait for tomorrow to see if this might be some sort of issue on their end (although I am not receiving any error messages) (2) go back to a further backup copy but I am not sure that would have the online information. Unless you have any other ideas, I will respond through this chain tomorrow with any new news. Thanks again!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Steve Palm Springs,

Yes, if I am correct, yesterday you were able to setup the MS account and download transactions. And today, not only does the file not show any evidence of the "connection" that you setup yesterday, but the backup copies also don't seem to have that data.

I agree that waiting until tomorrow will not have a negative effect, but if you cannot connect tomorrow and also can't reestablish the connection (by following the same steps (above) that gave you the connection yesterday, I would suggest that you consider using this LINK to validate tour data file (and start with the "Fourth" step). If that doesn't work, considers also supervalidating your Quicken datafile, because the behavior that you are seeing is not anywhere near what you should be seeing.  

Let me know how things go tomorrow.

Frankx

• Thank you again Frank for your help. I will let you know how it goes in the AM
    Steve
  • Hi Frank- SO strange. I attempt to set up the checking account again using Edit/Delete, second tab and begin setting up the online ID and password. System comes back with DO NOT ADD TO QUICKEN again. I then do a general update for my Morgan Stanley investment accounts (i.e. Morgan Stanley Wealth Management) and the checking account gets updated with new transactions. I go back into the account setup and now it shows the account is set up for online access?!?!? Hopefully the issue is resolved. I will see what happens tomorrow and reach out if I encounter any more problems. Once again, your assistance is very much appreciated. Steve
This discussion has been closed.