Bank of America PIN / Dual factor authentication

I see an older (mid 2021) thread on this topic that is closed for new discussion. It centers around the exact issue I am having. After I was forced to rebuild my Windows10 system from OS on up after a Windows Update corrupted the prior image, BofA continues to require dual factor authentication from Quicken every day...forcing me during my One Step Updates to select my cell phone, receive a 6 digit PIN, and enter it in Quicken. Expected to be asked for a multi-factor PIN the FIRST time I connected, since my PC looks "new" to all financial providers, and all BUT Bank of America asked me for the PIN once (and only once). BofA cannot remember this PC, and asks for dual factor auth at least once a day...often more frequently. Have tried all the steps in the earlier Bank of America PIN thread, to no avail. BofA is clueless and wants me to ask Quicken to help me turn on "third party access/sharing" setting in Quicken. That suggestion was after hours on the phone with them and escalations. Is there such a setting in Quicken Deluxe?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    JP16 said:
    BofA is clueless and wants me to ask Quicken to help me turn on "third party access/sharing" setting in Quicken. That suggestion was after hours on the phone with them and escalations. Is there such a setting in Quicken Deluxe?
    No. "Third party access/sharing" is something that some financial institutions may need to enable for a user in order to open their servers to Quicken or other applications — the aforementioned "third parties". So it sounds like something BofA needs to do, not something Quicken needs to do. Quicken will download whatever the financial institution gives it access to download. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JP16
    JP16 Member
    Jacobs....thanks so much for your lightning fast reply. Is there ANYTHING Quicken controls that would cause BofA to not "remember" my reinstall of Quicken after an initial dual factor auth? I assume like a browser, the financial institution likely leaves some form of (web analogy) 'cookie" in Quicken....or notes an identifying number of my Qucken....so they can recognize a new access from one that has already accessed and been dual authenticated. There ARE two different "Bank of Americas" in Quicken when you add an account (BofA - All States....and "BofA Quicken"). One person on the other thread said reconnecting to BofA - Quicken helped him. It made no difference to my install and both get dual challenged repeatedly. Any suggestions from Quicken to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I bang my head on the BofA wall again?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I can't answer definitively, but I will say that sometimes, financial institution websites (via my web browser, not Quicken) seem to think I'm using a different browser or computer than before. That is, some websites will ask me to do 2FA to login, and then ask "do you want to remember this device for future use without 2FA?" I say yes, and it works for awhile, but something — maybe a software security update to the Mac? maybe a change of IP address blocks from my cable company? something else? — seems to reset this so I have to start again with 2FA and telling it to remember my device. This is unrelated to Quicken, but to note that things happen from time to time which can make your same computer look different to a financial institution's website. 

Sorry (or happily ;) ) I don't have a BofA account at this time, so I can't test it myself. Perhaps some other BofA users will jump in here.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.