One step update freezes

frank11
frank11 Member ✭✭
After following the instructions on a previous thread (which is closed though the problem still exists); I have cleaned, validated, and reinstalled quicken and still cannot one-step-update. I guess this is one way to get around the constant update to Capital One accounts even if you do not request it. Are there any useful suggestions to solve the problem other than reinstallation (which didn't work)?

Update is hung waiting on Citibank, Wells Fargo and Discover accounts.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @frank11,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    I've tried this on 2 different systems with 2 different backup files, same issue
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    frank11 said:
    I've tried this on 2 different systems with 2 different backup files, same issue
    Hello @frank11

I am sorry that this issue is ongoing, even after restoring from backup files. Thank you for reaching back out and letting us know about your results.

Where is your current active data file located on your computer? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that your data file is being stored locally, on your computer, and not in an external drive or cloud-based storage service of any kind.

I look forward to your response, and hope to correspond with you further.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    on a local drive, same place its been for 15 years
  • frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    Tried one account, wells fargo, gives me "add account" with no way to close the dialog screen
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    frank11 said:
    on a local drive, same place its been for 15 years
    Hello @frank11

Thank you for reaching out again and providing the answer to this question. 

Have you tried supervalidating the file? Be sure to first save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen then follow the instructions below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing back from you after this has been attempted. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    Investment accounts update successfully when individually selected, no success on any credit or debit card account.
  • frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    Same results with super validate, extra special validate and double secret validate. No errors found. Tried updating CItibank, OSU goes directly to processing without attempting a download or any other activity.
  • Quicken Anja
    @frank11 thank you for following up!

Next, I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    I tried the clean uninstall/reinstall, prior to the last testing. same results
  • frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    tired again, third time, still same results. Processing on bank accounts. App unresponsive, requires kill task to close.
  • Quicken Anja
    @frank11 thank you for confirming, though I apologize that this continues to persist.

Next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file first which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID which can eliminate certain data file issues that may not always be detected through validating or super validating in the original file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    copied the file, balance on one test account is way off. downloaded man previous transactions, this seems to create more problems than it solves. if it solves any
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for trying all of the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and consistently providing us with an update afterward.

In that case, you can go ahead and switch back to your original data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down and review the section titled: "How to alternate between multiple files"). 

At this point, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja

• frank11
    frank11 Member ✭✭
    Tried the file copy again, took a screenshot to compare balances, only one account was incorrect. Fixed that account. Setup OSU and received a lot of OL-362-A errors which I fixed some and the rest went away. I saw on another thread that they resolved themselves for another user. I am up and running with a subset of OSU accounts but the most importance ones. Still no success with Huntigton Bank but that has been the case since my account was acquired by them. I am not setting up Capital One accounts. I no longer have the error of trying to open an account when I OSU. Lots of work that I wish I did not have to undertake, the software quality control is very poor and I avoid updating because of it. All that said, I appreciate your help; thank you. Now if you could fix Capital One and Huntington I would be all set! I hope that the issue don't re-occur and suggest leaving the thread open if I need to add further information.
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    @frank11 What was your issue with Capital One? ("the constant update to Capital One accounts even if you do not request it")

My Capital One Venture Visa card acct has never had an issue like this, if what you mean is that it updates without you running OSU. However, Capital One and several other of my banks have now started to hang on OSU. I have to kill Q via Task Mgr and restart, then update the banks one by one. Capital One, BofA, and Citi are all hanging but Chase and TDAmeritrade work just fine. I hope I don't have to go thru the same agonizing routine that you did to troubleshoot this.

@Quicken Anja, is there any way to roll back the last update applied to Quicken to see if that is what is causing this? Please pass on any suggestions. I have done a Validate but it still hangs.
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja, I have also tried both the Reset and Deactivate/Activate on these accounts but they still hang.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @Geoff Stuart,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and for adding to this discussion.
    @Quicken Anja, is there any way to roll back the last update applied to Quicken to see if that is what is causing this? Please pass on any suggestions. I have done a Validate but it still hangs.
    You can find and roll back to previous version releases by downloading and installing the patches through this support article.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.