change investment account to debit cash account?

Options
sleon
sleon Member ✭✭
When I use direct connect to create or download transactions from Fidelity, Quicken sets up and classifies a debit account at Fidelity as an investment account. How do I reclassify the investment account as, instead, a debit card bank account? Quicken seems to prohibit this.

Alternately, I have several months of transactions entered into the debit bank account in Quicken. Is there a way to move/migrate/transfer/copy those transactions over to the investment account? Quicken seems to prohibit this.

Alternately, I have several months of transactions that Quicken downloads into the investment account because that's the default. Is there a way to move/migrate/transfer/copy those transactions over to the debit account?

Background -- I am rebuilding years of Quicken data in a new data file because Quicken stopped working with my master account. So I created a new data file, tested it, and this new file succeeds at downloading Fidelity data. This means I have spent three days migrating QIF files between the original data file and the new data file. [Removed - Language] And I give credit to Quicken support for the two-hour call that gave me this route to rebuild years of financial data. We could not find the corruption in the original file, that corruption copied over with a backup file and with a copied file, so I had to start from a blank slate. Wish there is an easier way ...
Thanks for the help.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fidelity is a brokerage firm.  Any/All accounts that they offer are, by law, investment accounts.
    And, it appears that you have "Show cash in a checking account" turned on for this brokerage account?.  This checking account doesn't really exist.  It's a Q convenience (and my primary checking account) to make managing your cash in the account simpler.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• sleon
    sleon Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did not know about the "show cash cash in a checking account option." THANK YOU.
  • sleon
    sleon Member ✭✭
    Options
    And it WORKS!!!!
This discussion has been closed.