Reconciling issue

On about 10/30/21 I reconciled two separate checking accounts for 1/1/21-10/15/21. I download all of the transactions via update now and then added anything that got missed, manually, with my paper statements. (not really paper, I look at them online) Both accounts matched up perfectly with the paper statements, all marked with the R in the cleared column. Here I am a few months later downloading transactions from 10/15/21 - 3/25/22. I go back and make sure I am still balanced on 10/15/21 before moving forward, and nothing is matching with my paper statements like before. It's like quicken came in and added and took away transactions that had already been reconciled. I now have to start over again going through all of my paper statements from 1/1/21 forward to see what is missing / added. I have to re-reconcile again. The whole year. Why does this happen? I am so frustrated! What am I doing wrong?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset

Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab
  • shelley h.
    shelley h. Member
    Hi, yes, I double checked that I am in the correct date order.
    I am working on two Bank of America accounts and I am using Express Web Connect.

I need to probably mention a few things that I forgot to include with my original post.
    1. There are a lot of transfers in and out of both accounts. In and out to each other and out and in from other accounts (credit card payments for example) and this seems to possibly be an issue.
    2. After I downloaded the newest transactions from 10/15/21 - 3/25/22 I looked at the already reconciled transactions in the register (1/1/21-10/15/21) and noticed there are transactions in there that are marked with a C instead of an R. This tells me that cleared transactions have been added in among the already reconciled, correct?
    And get this, I just realized that they are ALL transfers. I am obviously not answering the questions correctly when quicken asks me if the transactions are transfers when I initially download my transactions from the bank.
    So if any of this makes sense, any instructions you or anyone else can give me would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Shelley
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, yes, I double checked that I am in the correct date order.
    I am working on two Bank of America accounts and I am using Express Web Connect.

I need to probably mention a few things that I forgot to include with my original post.
    1. There are a lot of transfers in and out of both accounts. In and out to each other and out and in from other accounts (credit card payments for example) and this seems to possibly be an issue.
    2. After I downloaded the newest transactions from 10/15/21 - 3/25/22 I looked at the already reconciled transactions in the register (1/1/21-10/15/21) and noticed there are transactions in there that are marked with a C instead of an R. This tells me that cleared transactions have been added in among the already reconciled, correct?
    And get this, I just realized that they are ALL transfers. I am obviously not answering the questions correctly when quicken asks me if the transactions are transfers when I initially download my transactions from the bank.
    So if any of this makes sense, any instructions you or anyone else can give me would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Shelley

As you're using the Express Web Connect connection method, you do not have control over the date range of transactions imported.  Normally, Quicken should filter out transactions previously imported but this functionality has been unreliable with the Express Web Connect method.

Regarding transfers, I suggest entering them in advance of the import and disable the transfer detection feature: select Edit > Preferences...

There are a few ways to deal with the out-of-range transactions.  I suggest setting Automatic entry to Off  for the registers so the imported transactions will appear in a tab at the bottom of the register: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select the Online Services tab 
  • shelley h.
    shelley h. Member
    Thank you, I really appreciate this. I will try these suggestions right away.
This discussion has been closed.