Entering transactions very slow since latest release

I'm running Windows version R38.30, Build 27.1.38.30 and since the last couple of updates entering transactions is painfully slow. 10-15 seconds. In particular, when entering a transaction for a bill or income reminder it can take 30-45 seconds. Are others seeing this and is there anything I can do? I've got 16gb of memory, have closed all other applications when working in Quicken, and still having the problem.

When I look at utilization, I'm at 32% of CPU and around 50% of memory.

This is just painful and any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• aplanedrvr1
    aplanedrvr1 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    [Removed-Duplicate]
  • kevin17@
    kevin17@ Member ✭✭✭
    Me too - any suggestions!!???
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    No Joy. Reinstalled and still as slow as molasses. It's rendering the application pretty much unusable for me.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well try this procedure, especially the second part that gets moves the configuration files out the way so that they are recreated.
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows

And then install again.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, but still no joy. Although I've read on multiple forums that there's no need to really create an archive, I'm wondering if I just got to a tipping point as I have data going back to 2006. Regardless, it's really just happened with the last couple of updates so it seems awfully coincidental if I hit that tipping point just when a new release came out.

Thanks again.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the tip, but still no joy. Although I've read on multiple forums that there's no need to really create an archive, I'm wondering if I just got to a tipping point as I have data going back to 2006. Regardless, it's really just happened with the last couple of updates so it seems awfully coincidental if I hit that tipping point just when a new release came out.

Thanks again.
    Hello @ejrosenzweig,  

I am sorry to hear that you are still being affected by this issue. Thank you for continuing to reach out and keep us updated and informed about the situation.

Are you able to restore a backup from just prior to the last update? To reiterate for other users, it is possible to save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Restoring from a backup can be performed by going into the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File. I am curious to know if there may be a saved data file from just before the most recent update that can be restored to, and whether or not this resolves the problem.

I look forward to any reply you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Very interesting results. I wasn't sure exactly which update started the problem, but I know it's been at least a couple of updates. To play it safe I restored a file from October, 2021 and it had scheduled transactions to be entered and when I clicked them they went very quickly. Also, something I noticed with my current file, reconciliations were also very slow. On the restored version no problem. So, it looks like there may be a problem with the data file itself. Where do I go from here?
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    One other thing. After doing the restore file test I did do a file validation of the current file that's had the problems and it came back with a log file with no real problems. It did say it repaired the file by removing a damaged category. It also repaired an account which I didn't recognize which was weird and removed an invalid transaction. Other than that all consistency checks passed and it found a bunch of transactions for deleted accounts which it cleaned up. Unfortunately, none of this helped solve the problem. Anyone have any new ideas?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion would be that if you have found a backup that fixes the problem, then use that and bring it up to date, so that you can use it going forward.  Of course, you will want to use to newest backup that works properly to limit how much work it will to be to bring it up to date.
    Signature:
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    I wish it was that easy but that's way too much work as I've been dealing with this for a couple of months and have hundreds of transactions, both electronic and manual. \
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, there most likely isn't going to be any magic bullet.

You can try Validate and repair on the current data file, and you might even try the copy where you are creating a new "template" and you have reactivate all of your online services:

File -> Validate and Repair File... -> Validate File -> OK

Or:
    File -> Copy or Backup File.. -> Create a copy or template (this one will require reconnecting all your online services)
    Signature:
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    validate and repair didn't help, but I'll try the copy when I've got some more time. Thanks for the guidance!
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    just did the copy as a template and no joy. still slow. I've got years of data in the file so the next step is to cut it down to maybe 3 years and see if that does the trick. Thanks again.
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Update: Well, I archived off data prior to 1/1/2017. Oddly, there are still reconciled checking transactions going back to 2007 in my current file. However, the file size itself shrunk about 20MB from 148MB to 122MB. I validated the file after the archive and there were no errors. One thing of note was when I had previously validated it gave me some warnings about old transactions that were linked to accounts that were no longer in Quicken. Now I don't get those errors so the archive did something. Regardless, there appears to be little difference in performance, and entering transactions is as painful as ever.

Totally stumped at this point and not sure where to go so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • Anonymous2000
    Anonymous2000 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. It seems with the latest update that Quicken is acting very sluggish.
  • Quicken Jared
    I have the same issue. It seems with the latest update that Quicken is acting very sluggish.
    Hello @Anonymous2000,

I am sorry to hear that you are being affected by this issue, as well. Thank you for following this discussion in search of further information.

Have you attempted to restore from a backup using the steps mentioned earlier? I am curious to know your results, if so.

@ejrosenzweig,

I apologize that this problem remains ongoing. Where is your current data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

Any updates or additional information you can provide are appreciated.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    It is in a folder on my G: drive which is a 1tb SATA drive that is 65% full and is where the .QDF file has been for years. This is also a folder that is sync'd to Microsoft OneDrive as well as Google Drive, again for a couple of years for backup purposes. I've tested with the sync off for Microsoft and Google while in Quicken and see no difference.

As a test, I copied my file to an SSD disk, not synchronized to any cloud service, and saw no discernable difference in performance, especially when entering scheduled bill/income reminders. Scheduled transactions seem to be the worst offenders.

Thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited March 2022
    It is in a folder on my G: drive which is a 1tb SATA drive that is 65% full and is where the .QDF file has been for years. This is also a folder that is sync'd to Microsoft OneDrive as well as Google Drive, again for a couple of years for backup purposes. I've tested with the sync off for Microsoft and Google while in Quicken and see no difference.

As a test, I copied my file to an SSD disk, not synchronized to any cloud service, and saw no discernable difference in performance, especially when entering scheduled bill/income reminders. Scheduled transactions seem to be the worst offenders.

Thanks.
    @ejrosenzweig,     

Thank you for reaching out to us again and providing additional details. I am sorry that issue is still, as of yet, unresolved.

I recommend copying the file using the following instructions, but moving the copy to your local computer:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Click Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template
    3. Click Next
    4. Select Save Copy
    5. Select New Copy
    6. Click Ok
    After this, validate and then supervalidate the copied file, now located on your local computer.

Please note that this will disconnect all of your online accounts and will force you to sign back in with your Quicken ID in order to restore a connection for online billers, bank accounts, Bill Manager services, etc. A new dataset ID will also be created as a part of this process.

If you can, let us know about the results of following through with these instructions.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    I made a copy, saved it to my SSD drive, and then opened the copy and processed a few of the scheduled transactions that were coming up. Unfortunately, no difference. The application is almost unusable like this as it takes me 20+ minutes to do what used to take me 5-10. There has to be an answer.
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am joining in to say this is also happening to me.  Quicken Windows R39.23, build 27.1.39.23 on Windows 10 Home.  I have transactions from at least 2008.  I used to archive annually, but found that inconvenient when having to search for something if I didn't know when that something happened.

I first noticed the slowness of processing transactions on splits, as the OP said, and then noticed it in reconciling accounts.  Very slow, causes issues because you think something has been marked but it hasn't been marked because the previous marking isn't complete, yet.

I think Quicken should recognize that, if a few users are now saying that they're experiencing this only since the last update, it may be the update, and not the users.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• jkoster
    jkoster Member ✭✭
    Same issue here - sudden onset a couple months ago. spins about 10+ seconds on enter - every transaction all account types. I'm sure I have a large data file - going back 20+ years, but this is a new problem just last couple months. Adding to the thread - I'd suggest something might have changed in a recent release that bogged down transaction processing/posting efficiency.
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    @quicken Jared, since the suggestions have not helped those who have tried them - can this please be investigated as a bug?  

• pruppel
    pruppel Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I am experiencing the same slow problems with entering transactions and with scheduled transactions as well.  Very frustrating.
    DbqAz
  • jjeamer
    jjeamer Member
    Same issue here. Using Version R39.23
  • jsmith195
    jsmith195 Member
    Same issue here for a long time now. It is so frustrating. Especially seeing how many people have the same issue and have tried the recommended fixes and still nothing. You charge an exorbitant annual premium for your service (and don't prorate if someone upgrades...you're welcome for the extra money BTW) and we have this ongoing known issue.
  • William Aston
    William Aston Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I am having the same problem as OP.

I am using Quicken version R40.21, build 27.1.40.21, running on Windows 10 Home version 21H2, and Windows Explorer reports a file size of 415184KB, and shift-clicking About Quicken in the Help menu gives a size of 397550KB, and I have transactions back to 2013. A few weeks ago Quicken started running very slow when I enter transactions. It takes about the same time for me as for OP.

EDIT: It won't let me create a copy of the file. I can backup the file, but not create a copy.

2nd EDIT: Chris_QPW's QcleanUI link earlier in this thread merely takes me to the Quicken home page and does not give me any information on QcleanUI.

3rd EDIT: I merged and deleted some Memorized Payees, and it appears the issue has resolved itself, at least for the time being.
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    William, what do you mean by merged some memorized payees? I will go and delete a bunch of the older ones, but while the problem is pervasive, it is really bad on bill and income reminders.
  • William Aston
    William Aston Member ✭✭
    I brought up the Memorized Payee List, chose some Payees and clicked on the Merge/Rename button, and typed in the name of another similar existing Payee.
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    I brought up the Memorized Payee List, chose some Payees and clicked on the Merge/Rename button, and typed in the name of another similar existing Payee.
    William, approx. how many did you merge?  I just did 3-4, and see no changes in processing transactions.

This discussion has been closed.