When I use Quickens Corporate Securities Menu it treats it as a cash transaction. I want to treat it

Bill Lynn
Bill Lynn Member ✭✭
When I use Quickens Corporate Securities Menu it treats it as a cash transaction. I want to treat it as an non-cash inventory transaction. How do I do that?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't treat cash as "inventory" ... since Q doesn't handle inventory.  You can, however, treat it as CASH in a non-retirement account, by doing TOOLS, Account List and clicking "Show cash in a checking" account". This option isn't available in retirement accounts.
    Otherwise, what do you mean by you post.  I'm apparently not understanding it completely

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current versions of Quicken do not have a "Corporate Securities Menu".

Are you referring to the "Corporate Securities Spin-Off" option when you click on Enter Transactions in an Investing account?

Perhaps you should be using "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock)" instead.

If you provide the names of the companies involved and/or a more detailed description of what you are trying to do, we may be able to help.

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman makes a good point about the menu, one that I missed.  EXACTLY what menu option are you using and how do you get to it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The Corporate Securities Spin-Off wizard should generate a RtrnCapX action transaction to reduce the cost basis of the original holding, a MiscIncX action transaction to reduce the unrealized gains of the original holding, and Added action transactions to establish the cost basis for each of the lots of the new holding.  The RtrnCapX and MiscIncX action transactions should be self-referencing transfers that do not impact the cash balance.
This discussion has been closed.