net worth report wrong - Qdata file probably corrupted as of R39.17/21

bobxx
bobxx Member
edited April 2022 in Reports (Windows)
cash balance shown on net worth report differs from what is in the register. I have tried loading / reloading, validating / re-installing program, etc. and get no where.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @bobxx

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this error. 

Have you tried super validating? Below are instructions on how to super validate your main file.
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Please let me know how it goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• bobxx
    bobxx Member
    Jasmine, I did all of that and problem remains. I could only Validate, saw no option for Super Validate. Thanks foe trying.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bobxx
    By any chance do you use paycheck transactions? If so the net worth issue may be due to this issue where versions 39.17 and 39.21 corrupted past paycheck transactions. Details and solution in the linked post. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909861/paycheck-wizard-issue-after-updating-to-r39-17-r39-21#latest

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @bobxx,

Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version you are running now.

When did you first see this problem? Was it before or after Mar. 4, when R39.17 was first released?

Previous to the current version, did you ever have R39.17 or R39.21 installed?

In the affected account, have you ever used the Paycheck Wizard to enter the split transfers in your paycheck?

Does the problem also affect the Account Balances Report?

If your answers are After Mar. 4, Yes ran R39.17 or R39.21, Yes have used Paycheck Wizard, and Yes affects Account Balances report, you have probably encountered the problem discussed here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909601/r39-17-r39-21-paycheck-corruption-edited/p1

If this is your problem, you should update to R39.23 or newer, which fixes this problem going forward. 

Then you should back up your current data file in case you want to return to it and restore a backup from before you installed R39.17. This would be about March 4. Verify that the problem is no longer present in the restored backup.

If the problem is not present in the restored backup, you will have to keep the backup and re-enter any transactions you entered since then.

See this Announcement

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909593/windows-r39-xx-release-us

QWin Premier subscription
  • bobxx
    bobxx Member
    edited March 2022
    using version R39.23. I do enter my pay check using the paycheck entry. I only noted the problem as I started on my 2021 taxes so I am not sure how long it was there. the same problem exists when I do an accounts balance report.
  • Jim_Harman
    In that case it is likely that you are experiencing the problem described above. You should follow the directions above for restoring a backup and if the problem is no longer present in the backup, re-entering any transactions since then. 
  • bobxx
    bobxx Member
    i use my Quicken constantly and only save current back-ups so the problem exists on them also. Just so that I understand, Quicken did something to foul up this report and they cannot fix it and I'm supposed to live with it?
  • Jim_Harman
    Usually Quicken automatically saves a backup just before installing an update. Look for the BACKUP folder in the folder where your data file is stored. In the BACKUP folder, the file will have a name like
    <your data file>-R-38.30-<date>.QDF-backup

Yes, R39.17 and R39.21 permanently damaged previously entered paycheck splits.
  • bobxx
    bobxx Member
    My back up files only go back to 3-25-22. I have Quicken set to back up to a separate disk each time that I close it and the program seems to cap the # of back ups. This strikes me as insane that Quicken would do this and not somehow immediately send an email to its users to inform them of the issue. Instead they leave it to us to find when it is too late to correct. Users will be finding this as they go to this report in the future instead of when it occurred.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bobxx Q does NOT "cap the # of back ups".  I have multiple going back to 9/30/21 ... and that's after manually paring them down to monthly after they get old.
    Why do you believe this?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Did you look in the BACKUP folder as I suggested above?
  • bobxx
    bobxx Member
    yes. The only workaround that I can think of is to go back and check every pay check since 2006 which was when the Quicken update corrupted my files and straighten it out pay check by pay check. Unreal!
  • Jim_Harman
    Before you fix every paycheck, please go to Edit > Preferences > Backup.

Is Automatic backups checked? (it should be)

Click on Open to the right of Automatic backups. Are there any recent files there? Hopefully there will be one from 3/4 or a little before.

• Jim_Harman
    Also you might look in the Validate folder where your data file is stored. Validate and Repair puts a copy of your file there before it attempts to fix it. If you are lucky, you may find a reasonably recent copy of your file there. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bobxx said: My back up files only go back to 3-25-22. I have Quicken set to back up to a separate disk each time that I close it and the program seems to cap the # of back ups.
    On your local hard drive - in the same location as your Quicken QDF data file - there should be a \BACKUP\ folder with all the recent "automatic" backups.... there is a setting within Quicken Preferences - but it never has worked as for the MAX number.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bobxx
    bobxx Member
    Jim, I tried both and nothing back far enough. I am using the file throughout the day and open & close it a lot with a back up being done each time to a separate disk. I just set the max # for the disk to hold to 99 but that doesn't help with this issue. i also think that I am corrupting the prior years info when I fix the issue caused by Quicken as I am inserting a non-existent deduction to get the payroll check window reduced to what was actually deposited but at this point that seems like the lesser of 2 evils. Bob
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bobxx said:   ... open & close it a lot with a back up being done each time to a separate disk.
    Maybe it's just wrong terminology - but what does this mean ?
    AND... The errors introduced with R39.17/21 - are producing random Payroll Split errors touching various years.
    Trying to "fix" the file could prove to be a bad idea, as you really don't know what has been corrupted.
    The suggested solution is to install the later R39.23 version - to fix things going forward,
    but that still leaves a broken/corrupted data file
    that must be restored from prior to the R39.17/21 install dates of around 3/4/22 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.