Vanguard no longer provides detailed tracking?

Sponks
Sponks Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Beginning December 2021, I began having problems syncing with my Vanguard accounts. I had assumed that there were issues that Vanguard was trying to resolve, and so did not take action. Today, I disconnected all my Vanguard accounts and attempted to re-establish downloading. However, I see the message "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking." I used to be able to download transactions. Has something changed on the Quicken side?

I'm using Quicken Deluxe for Mac, which I keep up-to-date whenever a new update is available.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, in the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• I also am having a similar issue. In my case, I am migrating from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. I noticed that on Quicken Mac after the migration, my Vanguard accounts were not updating, and were generating errors. When I tried to re-link the accounts, or even tried setting up the accounts from scratch, I noticed the message "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking". However, I do not believe that this message is correct - on my Quicken Windows, the Vanguard accounts continue to be able to download transactions with no issues.

I suspect that this is a problem specific to the Mac version of Quicken, as it is not happening on Windows.

Please keep us posted on the status of diagnosing/resolving this issue. I would very much like to migrate my Quicken usage from Windows to Mac, but with this current limitation of Simple Tracking only on the Mac version, I am unlikely to migrate. It is important to me that I can maintain individual transactions in my investment accounts.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Sponks said:
    Beginning December 2021, I began having problems syncing with my Vanguard accounts. I had assumed that there were issues that Vanguard was trying to resolve, and so did not take action. Today, I disconnected all my Vanguard accounts and attempted to re-establish downloading. However, I see the message "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking." I used to be able to download transactions. Has something changed on the Quicken side?

I'm using Quicken Deluxe for Mac, which I keep up-to-date whenever a new update is available.

Thanks.
    Hello @Sponks ,   

I know these kinds of download issues are frustrating, and I am sorry that you are experiencing this problem. Are you able to add/link accounts normally when you use Simple Tracking? I know that this is not ideal, I simply want to confirm you are able to connect in some fashion.

@chilihabanero ,

Do you think you could submit logs regarding this issue? If you can, try to reproduce this message, then go to the Help option in the upper menu while Quicken is open and select Report a Problem. This way, a screenshot can be taken. You would then provide a brief description and select, Send to Quicken. Doing so would provide much needed information for our support team and assist them in achieving a more speedy path to resolution of the problem.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Jared,

Thanks for replying.

Yes I can add the account. However, where I used to see the Transactions tab enabled, I now only see the Dashboard and Portfolio tabs enabled and the Transactions tab greyed out. When I first connected the account, there was a message at the top:

"Quicken cannot connect to this account"

The reason why I reached out to Quicken (and not Vanguard) is because I see that same message above my accounts for non-Vanguard accounts as well.

Sponks
  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭✭
    > @Sponks said:
    > Hi Jared,
    >
    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > Yes I can add the account. However, where I used to see the Transactions tab enabled, I now only see the Dashboard and Portfolio tabs enabled and the Transactions tab greyed out. When I first connected the account, there was a message at the top:
    >
    > "Quicken cannot connect to this account"
    >
    > The reason why I reached out to Quicken (and not Vanguard) is because I see that same message above my accounts for non-Vanguard accounts as well.
    >
    > Sponks

I should add, though, that when retrying the download, the other non-Vanguard accounts can download transactions. It's just the Vanguard accounts that keep returning that error message.
  • Geoff Green
    Geoff Green Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue -- Vanguard hasn't connected for a bit, so I tried setting up online access anew as "Vanguard - Personal Investor" and it only offered my Simple Tracking. On the "bright" side, this new connection attempt failed so I wasn't able to download anything through Simple Tracking.
  • Papasoz
    Papasoz Member ✭✭
    Was able to switch to detailed in settings. BUT have same issue with downloads - not working. Submitted an error report
  • shie0041
    shie0041 Member
    I have a related problem in that I am new to Quicken and am unable to create an account on Vanguard in the first place. I provide my credentials and am then thrown back to the main register page.
  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭✭
    Is there any update to this, or does this merit opening a support case with Quicken? Simple tracking is pretty useless to me, and this feature had been there from the beginning. Does this have anything to do with the fact that I am on Deluxe (or on Mac)?
  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭✭
    Maybe this will provide you with a bit more information. I logged in into Vanguard and downloaded the transactions, and they import successfully into Quicken Deluxe for Mac.
  • Quicken Jared
    Sponks said:
    Maybe this will provide you with a bit more information. I logged in into Vanguard and downloaded the transactions, and they import successfully into Quicken Deluxe for Mac.
    @Sponks,

Thank you for keeping in contact with me and bringing me additional information and clarification about this matter.

In this case, we would best be able to help you through directing you to the Quicken phone support team. Their contact information can be found in the link featured here:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Feel free to continue speaking with us about any possible updates, and to reach out to the Quicken Community with any other questions or concerns.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • jtjbt20x
    jtjbt20x Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I'm having the same problem with my Janney investing accounts. I had to re-link all of the accounts and when I tried, the only option I had was to use the simple tracking despite having detailed tracking for over five years. I then created a new Quicken file and tried to add new the accounts and received the same problem.

A further confounding problem is when I tried to re-link or add the Janney accounts, all of my banking checking/savings accounts also appeared in the add/link accounts dialog.

Any ideas?
  • smvl808
    smvl808 Member ✭✭
    I think I may have found a fix. First I saved a quicken backup of my file. I went to "edit settings" on one of my vanguard accounts. Chose reset connection. Then selected the first Vanguard option under "Best results" from the list. (The second one for Personal Investors did not provide the Direct Connect option below). Then instead of using Quicken Connect, I chose Direct Connect. Just need to make sure you link your accounts properly by account number. This ended up reestablishing my brokerage account that had no transactions downloaded since August '21. Hope that helps others.
  • munchkinfan
    munchkinfan Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem with accounts that used to work just fine - e.g., I used to get all transactions. Thanks for the possible workaround smv1808, but that doesn't work for me. Has Quicken determined if there is a bug here?
  • Quicken Jared
    smvl808 said:
    I think I may have found a fix. First I saved a quicken backup of my file. I went to "edit settings" on one of my vanguard accounts. Chose reset connection. Then selected the first Vanguard option under "Best results" from the list. (The second one for Personal Investors did not provide the Direct Connect option below). Then instead of using Quicken Connect, I chose Direct Connect. Just need to make sure you link your accounts properly by account number. This ended up reestablishing my brokerage account that had no transactions downloaded since August '21. Hope that helps others.
    Hello @smvl808,

I am so happy hear to that you seemed to have uncovered resolution, and I very much appreciate that you took the time to follow up with us and provide us with your findings. Feel free to return any time with any further questions, comments, or concerns.

@munchkinfan

I am sorry that this issue seems to be affecting you, as well, and that it remains unresolved. Have you been able to contact phone support via the link provided earlier?

I look forward to any reply you may be able to provide, and I thank you for contacting the Quicken Community about this matter.

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • Thank you this solution worked for me as well.
  • GIWalt
    GIWalt Member ✭✭✭
    When updating Quicken accounts this AM, Vanguard I was asked for Vanguard credentials and when updating I got a notice that Quicken only does simple tracking for Vanguard.  This was not the case until today.  What changed if anything?
  • jwldoc
    jwldoc Member ✭✭
    New problem. AS of this morning 3/14/2022, quicken mac is alerting me that detailed tracking for Vanguard Personal Investments is not available, only simple tracking is available which is NOT sufficient. Password/Username re-entered several times. I'm choosing Vanguard personal investor, which is the correct bank.
    Help please
  • jwldoc
    jwldoc Member ✭✭
    same here. following....
  • bbrain59
    bbrain59 Member
    Is this something that Vanguard is doing or is it a new 'feature' in Quicken? I've got years of details and I want to continue monitoring with all the details I used to get.
  • ptdimarzio
    ptdimarzio Member ✭✭
    Same for me - worked fine yesterday but not this morning! NOT acceptable!
  • sfb71
    sfb71 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    All of my 3 Vanguard accounts stopped syncing detailed transactions recently. I tried both Add and Link. In both cases, the response was that Vanguard does not support detailed transactions. If that is the case, then I have a problem with the value of Quicken.
  • sfb71
    sfb71 Member ✭✭
    I tried both Add and Link. In both cases, the response was that Vanguard does not support detailed transactions. If that is the case, then I have a problem with the value of Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please explain what you mean by "detailed transactions".  I'd expect security name, action, date, price/quote & amount at a minimu.
    What are you getting?  And where/how are you getting that response?  A graphic would be helpful.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• sfb71
    sfb71 Member ✭✭
    all information about a transaction - date, security, amount, shares, action, etc.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get all of that from Fidelity ... and I believe that other Vanguard customers do also.  Are you perhaps only getting your positions, and not transactions?
    If so, then "Simplified" got turned on.  But I don't know the QMac steps to undo this.  Poke around in your investment accounts to see if there's a reference there.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    [This thread and another one were merged, so the sequence of questions and replies may not make complete sense.]

The control over Simple versus Detailed Tracking on investment accounts is on the Settings screen for each account in Quicken Mac.

But I believe the problem here is that some people are connecting to Vanguard and getting a message that "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking." Which is not true of Vanguard. The good news (?) is that this is not an isolated incident; as you can see in this thread,  other Quicken Mac users have reported the same problem. . Unfortunately, I don't think there's been a response from Quicken about why this is happening to some people, nor a solution for how to get back to detailed tracking. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • sfb71
    sfb71 Member ✭✭
    Solution - I deleted all my Vanguard accounts and then re-established them. I got everything back except a few IRA-related cost-basis facts. I'm now getting all transactions downloaded like before.
  • WesleyD
    WesleyD Member
    I noticed one of my Vanguard accounts wasn't downloading transactions, so I reconnected my accounts. Now I get a message that Vanguard doesn't support detailed investment tracking for ALL my Vanguard accounts. When I convert the accounts to detailed in the account setup, it requires disconnection from Vanguard. This seems more like a change with Quicken for Mac and NOT Vanguard since I was still getting detailed downloads on other Vanguard accounts until the reconnection. Help!!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, in the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Wanderer
    Wanderer Member ✭✭
    I have also been having issues with Vanguard. Sigh. Capital one just began working and now Vanguard is not. I get a message saying that Quicken cannot connect with this password. (even though a logon with the same password to the vanguard site works) So tired of these non stop issues with various account holders.
This discussion has been closed.