Capital One download changed account transactions and balance

ksm
ksm Member ✭✭✭
While thrilled that the ability to download Capital One bank transactions has been restored, the download is automatically changing my account transactions. I restored a Backup and reset up the Capital One downloads and the same thing happened. For example, my checking account balance went from $300 positive to negative $1,300. All 3 of my Capital One accounts were affected: 2 checking, 1 credit card. I manually accept (or delete) downloaded transactions, thus, that was not what changed the account. I will again restore my backup and await guidance on this issue or a resolution of the issue.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    ksm said:
    While thrilled that the ability to download Capital One bank transactions has been restored, the download is automatically changing my account transactions. I restored a Backup and reset up the Capital One downloads and the same thing happened. For example, my checking account balance went from $300 positive to negative $1,300. All 3 of my Capital One accounts were affected: 2 checking, 1 credit card. I manually accept (or delete) downloaded transactions, thus, that was not what changed the account. I will again restore my backup and await guidance on this issue or a resolution of the issue.
    Hello @ksm,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with transaction downloads. Thank you for bringing this problem up for discussion here on the Quicken Community.

Are you now seeing duplicate transactions in your register? Where is your current active data file located? You can check this by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. I am also curious to know whether or not you notice this behavior after restoring from a backup. 

Let us know if you notice any error messages, as well.

I hope to hear back from you with any possible updates, should you have the opportunity to check back in with us.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Thank you for the quick response, Jared.

I have been reviewing one of the checking accounts to try to figure out what happened. I had exported registers of the three accounts to Excel from Quicken before re-setting up the Capital One download. I then exported the registers after the download. I compared the two Excel downloads. The transactions appear to be identical.

HOWEVER, when comparing the Excel workbook post-download to Quicken, the balance in Quicken is off from the very first transactions (January 2007).

I have a beginning balance of $888.54. The next transaction is a Paycheck with Earnings of $1,220.83 and an After-Tax Deduction of $239.17, for a net Deposit of $981.66. BUT Quicken shows a deposit of $1,007.74. A difference of $26.08. The same issue happened with every one of these monthly Paychecks.

That is the only difference I noted while visually comparing the first 6 months of transactions. (I looked at a March 2022 transaction for a paycheck and it is entered correctly.)

My file is in Documents > Quicken, where I have always kept my Quicken files.

I have restored my 'pre-Capital One download' backed-up file. The account balances are back to what they should be. [I did create a backup of the post-Capital One download file before restoring my "good" file.]

FYI, when I restore the file, Quicken says it is "synching Quicken and Quicken Cloud." I have never used the Quick Cloud so I'm not sure why that is happening with the restored file. I received the same message when I restored my file earlier today.

Let me know if you need any additional information. Needless to say, I'm not going to re-set up Capital One downloads.
  • Quicken Jared
    ksm said:
    Thank you for the quick response, Jared.

I have been reviewing one of the checking accounts to try to figure out what happened. I had exported registers of the three accounts to Excel from Quicken before re-setting up the Capital One download. I then exported the registers after the download. I compared the two Excel downloads. The transactions appear to be identical.

HOWEVER, when comparing the Excel workbook post-download to Quicken, the balance in Quicken is off from the very first transactions (January 2007).

I have a beginning balance of $888.54. The next transaction is a Paycheck with Earnings of $1,220.83 and an After-Tax Deduction of $239.17, for a net Deposit of $981.66. BUT Quicken shows a deposit of $1,007.74. A difference of $26.08. The same issue happened with every one of these monthly Paychecks.

That is the only difference I noted while visually comparing the first 6 months of transactions. (I looked at a March 2022 transaction for a paycheck and it is entered correctly.)

My file is in Documents > Quicken, where I have always kept my Quicken files.

I have restored my 'pre-Capital One download' backed-up file. The account balances are back to what they should be. [I did create a backup of the post-Capital One download file before restoring my "good" file.]

FYI, when I restore the file, Quicken says it is "synching Quicken and Quicken Cloud." I have never used the Quick Cloud so I'm not sure why that is happening with the restored file. I received the same message when I restored my file earlier today.

Let me know if you need any additional information. Needless to say, I'm not going to re-set up Capital One downloads.
    Hello @ksm

Thank you for getting back to me with so much helpful detail about the situation. I am sorry that this issue with downloads remains unclear.

I am happy to hear that the balances were accurate in the restored backup, although I do have some additional questions and suggestions.

If you remove the net deposit in the 'post-download' file and manually enter the associated paycheck information, do the balances appear correct? It sounds as though this old entry is the only source of the discrepancy, although I may be misunderstanding what is happening. I do understand the frustration in having to search through so much information for this inaccurate transaction, but it does sound as though the account is otherwise operable as normal, which is a welcome discovery.

Additionally, if you do ever decide to re-enter the 'post-download' data file and perform a One Step Update, I would be curious to hear about the results.

I appreciate your efforts in keeping in communications and for being so patient.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Jared,
    I only looked at the first 6 months of entries for one checking account, which has over 2,000 entries. The other two accounts have over 4,000 line entries each. The discrepancy of the balances would not be accounted for by just this one paycheck, especially since the difference is negative and the paycheck entry(ies) would result in a higher balance.

I renamed the "post-download" account so I should be able to open it without affecting my "good" file.

BUT if I do a download from the "post-download" account, will I still be able to do a download in my "good" file? I don't know if you can download from the same accounts to two different Quicken files.
  • Quicken Jared
    ksm said:
    Jared,
    I only looked at the first 6 months of entries for one checking account, which has over 2,000 entries. The other two accounts have over 4,000 line entries each. The discrepancy of the balances would not be accounted for by just this one paycheck, especially since the difference is negative and the paycheck entry(ies) would result in a higher balance.

I renamed the "post-download" account so I should be able to open it without affecting my "good" file.

BUT if I do a download from the "post-download" account, will I still be able to do a download in my "good" file? I don't know if you can download from the same accounts to two different Quicken files.
    @ksm

I see. I apologize again for the frustration of sorting through so much data in order to investigate this problem further. 

To answer your question, you should be able to perform One Step Updates and import .QFX files in your backup data file as normally going forward. I recommend using this as your primary data file from here on out.

I hope that is helpful.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I'm confused about which file you suggest I use going forward. I cannot use the file with Capital One downloads as all 3 accounts have been severely compromised/modified by doing the Capital One download. It is not feasible to check thousands of transactions.

There is obviously something wrong with Quicken's download from Capital One. How can I get this issue resolved?

p.s. I did another One Step Update in the "post-download" file. The Capital One accounts are still grossly incorrect.
  • Quicken Jared
    ksm said:
    I'm confused about which file you suggest I use going forward. I cannot use the file with Capital One downloads as all 3 accounts have been severely compromised/modified by doing the Capital One download. It is not feasible to check thousands of transactions.

There is obviously something wrong with Quicken's download from Capital One. How can I get this issue resolved?

p.s. I did another One Step Update in the "post-download" file. The Capital One accounts are still grossly incorrect.
    Hello @ksm

I do apologize for any confusion my comment may have caused. I will explain further.

The data file you restored from a backup, wherein balances appeared as expected, would be the data file that I would recommend proceeding from. For the time being, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... and then deactivate your Capital One accounts in the restored file by selecting each from the Account List in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window then going to the 'gear' icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, above the register. From here, select Edit Account Details and then go to the Online Services tab, clicking Deactivate. Click Yes to finalize this decision. 

I recommend updating these accounts manually until you can reach out to Quicken support via the contact information provided in the link below:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

I hope this clarifies the resolution, and proves to be helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Jared, for walking me through these steps. I'm sure they will be helpful when I contact Quicken support.
This discussion has been closed.