Why can't I add more investment accounts - Starter version ?

Lighty
Lighty Member
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have 3 investment accounts already but no option to add more. Is there a limit? Am I doing something wrong?

Best Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    yup - the STARTER version does not support Investments - you need the next step up to - Deluxe -
    same data file, same program, no re-install... just a change in "feature set" associated with your Quicken email ID

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Starter edition will show exiting investment accounts (when you downgrade) but you can not add investment accounts.
    You need to upgrade to Deluxe or higher if you want to really work with investment accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Starter Edition doesn't support Investment accounts.  You'll need to upgrade to at least Deluxe to get back the ability to add (and download into) investment accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't you add more?  What happens?  What error codes, or messages?  I currently have 4 investment accounts, but previously have had as many as 7.
    Also, HOW are you trying to add them?  What's your step by step process?

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, what version of Quicken are you using?   Did you happen to "downgrade" to Starter from a higher version?   
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Lighty said: I have 3 investment accounts already but no option to add more.
    What version of Quicken - is it STARTER - it says in the far upper left corner ?
    What happens when you try.... Tools --> Add Account - ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Lighty
    Lighty Member
    So, I previously had a version that I purchased at Best Buy. I don't know what that version was. I was tired of manually entering all my credit card transactions so I started paying the annual subscription. I am on the Starter Edition. I thought I created my current investment accounts after the switch but I could be wrong.

I am going to the + (add account). Once there, I'm not given an option for investment or broker, only Checking, Savings, Credit Card, or Cash on hand...

Sounds like maybe my problem is the Starter Edition??
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    yup - the STARTER version does not support Investments - you need the next step up to - Deluxe -
    same data file, same program, no re-install... just a change in "feature set" associated with your Quicken email ID

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Starter edition will show exiting investment accounts (when you downgrade) but you can not add investment accounts.
    You need to upgrade to Deluxe or higher if you want to really work with investment accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Starter Edition doesn't support Investment accounts.  You'll need to upgrade to at least Deluxe to get back the ability to add (and download into) investment accounts.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighty said:

Sounds like maybe my problem is the Starter Edition??
    That would be correct. Starter Edition does not support investment activity.
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the issue.  Starter does not allow investment accounts.  You need to upgrade to at least Deluxe to have investment accounts.  You should be able to do that from within Quicken help.  At the bottom you should see several "Add..." choices.  Select the one for Deluxe and it should bring you to Quicken.com to purchase the Deluxe version for an "upcharge".  
  • Lighty
    Lighty Member
    Thanks!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lightly, note that Starter and the annual subscription aren't related.  ALL current version of Q have a subscription fee.

This discussion has been closed.