How do I move investment transactions to a different account?

Options
fschmid
fschmid Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have 4 investment accounts in Quicken. I called one Fred's 401k account which was the first account I created. Securities were added to this account. Not knowing what I was doing I created another account called Principal Financial. Securities were also added to this account. Principal Financial is where the funds from my 401k account are being invested from my last job. For both accounts I connected to the Principal Financial account on the internet to download the securities.
Then I created a new account called Raymond James where funds from a previous employer 401k account were dumped into. I downloaded a file from Raymond James and it created a new account Investment XXXXX. Since then I have retired and moved all my funds into the Raymond James account. Now there are a lot of duplications and Quicken is showing a lot more money than I have.

How do I fix this?

I would like to move all the transactions in the Principal Financial account into the Fred's 401k account and delete the Principal Financial account. Then add (a) transaction(s) to zero out the Fred's 401k account to show that I moved all the funds to the Raymond James account.
I also would like to remove the Investment XXXXX account and have those transactions added to the Raymond James account. I should end up with only 2 accounts (Fred's 401k with a zero balance and Raymond James)

Can this be done?

Fred

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

To move investment transactions: open the source account, press Ctrl + Shift + N, and select Move Transactions

To delete an investment account: open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select Delete Account

To transfer cash from an investment account: open the account, select Enter Transactions, and select Cash Transferred out of Account

To transfer securities from an investment account: open the account, select Enter Transactions, and select Shares Transferred between Accounts

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

To move investment transactions: open the source account, press Ctrl + Shift + N, and select Move Transactions

To delete an investment account: open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select Delete Account

To transfer cash from an investment account: open the account, select Enter Transactions, and select Cash Transferred out of Account

To transfer securities from an investment account: open the account, select Enter Transactions, and select Shares Transferred between Accounts

• Jim H.
    Jim H. Member ✭✭
    Options
    my investment accounts don't have a transaction type of "Cash Transferred Out of Account", only has "Transfer Shares". How do I then move the cash that I have earned from selling shares at a profit?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Jim H. said:
    my investment accounts don't have a transaction type of "Cash Transferred Out of Account", only has "Transfer Shares". How do I then move the cash that I have earned from selling shares at a profit?
    I suspect your investment accounts may be set up as single mutual fund accounts and therefore may not hold any cash.  When you sell shares in single mutual fund account, you must specify the account that will receive the funds.
This discussion has been closed.