Invest - Portfolio - Value - Break-Even Price - column is all blank ?

Options
Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Happen to see the mention of the Break-Even column for the Investing Portfolio screen.
I added it from the customize menu - but it shows all blank....
any thoughts ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The calculation is per security lot.  So, to see it you have to have expanded the security lots for that security.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just now added that column, and I'm seeing the same thing ... all blanks.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It is by lot: select Expand All
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Now I get "N/A" except for lots purchased 4/5/21 or later.  A 3/5/21 of the same security of the same security in the same account shows N/A.
    BUT, at the Lot level, shouldn't "break even" be the lot purchase price?  And the security break even be calculated Sum(#shs * $ for that lot) / TTLShs?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    Now I get "N/A" except for lots purchased 4/5/21 or later.  A 3/5/21 of the same security of the same security in the same account shows N/A.
    BUT, at the Lot level, shouldn't "break even" be the lot purchase price?  And the security break even be calculated Sum(#shs * $ for that lot) / TTLShs?
    As there are presently only short and long term holdings with respect to taxes, the calculation only looks at short-term holdings and determines a break-even price based on the difference in the short versus long-term tax rate set for the portfolio that would match the current gain or loss.

The break-even price would be the lot purchase price if there had been no gain or loss.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The break-even calculation includes the consideration of short-term versus long-term capital gains taxes in the calculation.

Here's how HELP describes it:

Definition

Assuming you hold this lot until the next holding period, and the stock price falls while you wait to sell, this is how low the price could fall before the tax money saved by holding would be offset by the market value decline.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock said: It is by lot: select Expand All
    I click on the [EXPAND ALL] at the bottom - and nothing changes or happens ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Sherlock said: It is by lot: select Expand All
    I click on the [EXPAND ALL] at the bottom - and nothing changes or happens ?

Then you have not opened a portfolio view that supports viewing lots.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The view must be grouped by Account in order to see the lots.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim_Harman said:The view must be grouped by Account in order to see the lots.
    got it -
    Interesting, as mentioned above - most of mine also show as N/A -
    only the short term purchases within 1 year have a B/E Price displayed -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Jim_Harman said:The view must be grouped by Account in order to see the lots.
    got it -
    Interesting, as mentioned above - most of mine also show as N/A -
    only the short term purchases within 1 year have a B/E Price displayed -

Break-Even Price is Not Applicable (N/A) for long-term holdings because there is no next term.  You may find including the Days to Next Period and/or the Holding Period helpful.
This discussion has been closed.