Investment share quantities in Holding window do not match line entries in investment ledger

jlspitzer
jlspitzer Member ✭✭
You are going to hear a little frustration here as Quicken support has told me that my QData file(which goes back to 2007) is corrupted, nothing they can do, and that I have to basically start a new file from scratch. What I got, was that the file is reliable until it's not. Now, as I'm about to start a whole new file, can I import the accounts, numbers and logins only, from the old file into a new file so I don't have to enter them all manually?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's good news.  Anything you can do to fix that account would be far better than starting a new data file.

BTW one other thing.  Back before the was a Move Transactions for the investment account I had an IRA account that was messed up, and what I ended up doing in that case is using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action and transferring the cash.

The "Move Transactions" is preferred though because the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" does "Remove Shares" and "Add Shares" which preserves the cost basis, but not some of the performance numbers that are based on the actual transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you like a second opinion on the need to start from scratch? 

If so, please describe the problems you are seeing and what you have tried so far to resolve them.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Jim, yes, would appreciate a second opinion. In an investment account, the ledger shows, on 4/2/2020 I added 115 shares of an ETF to the account. When I pull up the holdings in the account, it only shows 110 shares. I have even deleted the line item and re-entered it with the same effect. There are no other entries in this account on that date. I've attached screenshots of the discrepancy. Any advice is appreciated.
  • Jim_Harman
    What is the As of date for the Holdings view? Have you sold any shares since 4/2/20?

Please go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. That will reveal any Placeholders that may be affecting your holdings.
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    The Show hidden transactions box is checked. Screenshot attached. I don't have any placeholders, I believe they would show up in the Holdings view, correct?
  • Jim_Harman
    Placeholders would show up in the account's Transaction list (register). They have an Action type of Entry and they have a gray background even if not selected.

What happens if you change the As of date in the Holdings view to 4/2/2020? Does it show the correct number of shares, or is it still off by 5?
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Jim, sorry if I wasn't clear, I have no placeholder entries in the account. Here is a screenshot of the full entry. You can see that the date is 4/2/2020. Even if I change the quantity to any other number, it comes out 5 less in the Holdings view. Someplace there are (-5) phantom shares in the account.
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    And here is another very strange thing, none of the other register lines for that ETF show the same issue. All those show the correct number of shares.
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Even stranger...I added a line of shares on 4/5/2020 for 115 shares, it showed up properly with 115 shares in the Holdings view. THEN I removed the 4/2 entry and the 4/5 entry now only shows 110 shares.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What does it show on the Investing tab -> Portfolio view?
    Also try this.  Go to register and select one of the dates, and then hold down Shift+Ctrl and type Z, select OK to do the recalculate all transactions, and see if that helps.
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    I tried another test and the earliest entry under this stock/EFT reduces by 5 shares no matter when it is entered.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I assume that they tried Validate and Repair, if not do that.
    The next thing I would do is create a new investment account and move the transactions from the old account to the new one.  To do that select the gear icon in the old account and select Move Transactions on the menu.
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > What does it show on the Investing tab -> Portfolio view?
    > Also try this.  Go to register and select one of the dates, and then hold down Shift+Ctrl and type Z, select OK to do the recalculate all transactions, and see if that helps.

Chris, Portfolio view shows 110 shares also, 5 less than what is in the ledger. Recalculating transactions still shows 110 shares...unfortunately.
  • Jim_Harman
    Did you try the Rebuild Investing Lots option in Validate and Repair? Backup your data first in case things get worse ...
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Jim, yes, tried standard and super validate and repair (showed to me by tech support). Did not change the values.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlspitzer - Maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything posted here regarding the following:
    • You said you added 115 shares on 4/2.  Was that done manually or via download? 
    • What does your online brokerage account show for this transaction?
    • What does your online brokerage account show for total shares held of this ETF?  Does that match what you are seeing in Quicken?
    • Did you do Reconcile Shares (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Reconcile Shares)?:  What does that show?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac the problem is that the register and the Holding/Portfolio views disagree.  115 in the register 110 in the Holding/Portfolio views.
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Boatmaniac, between trying to fix the shares, I don't recall what was present at the beginning, however, I can tell you that I re-entered all the entries for this ETF to align with what is in the brokerage account.
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Here is a side by side comparison of the investment performance report vs the Holdings view. FYI, I ended up speaking to one of the supervisors and he was no help either, just platitudes.
    QD6.JPG 38.7K
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried moving all the transactions to a new account, yet?
    Be sure to backup before doing it.
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Have you tried moving all the transactions to a new account, yet?
    > Be sure to backup before doing it.

Chris, interesting...I will try that.
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    > > @Chris_QPW said:

I tried moving all to a new account and Holdings in the new account still shows only 110 shares.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try this experiment.

Export the investment account using QIF (File -> File Export -> QIF File)  (just the transactions).
    Create a new data file, and open it, create an investment account in it.
    Import the QIF file into that account.

Are the shares right now?
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Chris, I created a new investment account(in my current file) and transferred all the investments. The investments still showed 110 shares in the Holdings, so I then created another account and transferred only the IShares Gold investments into it. I discovered that the transfer only showed 110 shares transferred for that line item. I changed the line in the ledger back to 115 shares and it showed up correctly in the Holdings. Then I transferred those shares back to the previous 'new' account and it still showed 115 shares! So now at least those numbers match and there is a potential way to 'fix' it. Now I have to go back to see if any other investments have the issue.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's good news.  Anything you can do to fix that account would be far better than starting a new data file.

BTW one other thing.  Back before the was a Move Transactions for the investment account I had an IRA account that was messed up, and what I ended up doing in that case is using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action and transferring the cash.

The "Move Transactions" is preferred though because the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" does "Remove Shares" and "Add Shares" which preserves the cost basis, but not some of the performance numbers that are based on the actual transactions.
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I used "Move Transactions" or "Transfer Shares" the second time. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help. I am very happy that I didn't have to scrap the old file.
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for the help. You did better than Quicken <shake my head>.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can guarantee you I have much more experience with Quicken than the support people that were helping you.   ;)
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    This discussion took a tangent from the original topic, should I change the subject heading to potentially help others?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jlspitzer said:
    This discussion took a tangent from the original topic, should I change the subject heading to potentially help others?
    Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  BTW if you haven't gathered, no there isn't a way to transfer the online information.  At best you would be able to get your transactions/categories/and such into another account using a QIF export/import.
    Signature:
  • jlspitzer
    jlspitzer Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > BTW if you haven't gathered, no there isn't a way to transfer the online information.  At best you would be able to get your transactions/categories/and such into another account using a QIF export/import.

Yeah, figured that. Having to redo all of my customizations and categories, and then assigning the entries, would have been a huge effort to recreate
This discussion has been closed.