How do I enter and/or characterize medical reimbursement without HSA?

My wife's dental plan reimburses half the cost of the visit on her claim form. Then she gets reimbursed for half the cost. It's not income. It shouldn't be taxable. How do I do this?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @newsguygeorge

So it sounds like you make the payment (full payment) to your dentist and you likely are posting that payment (the full payment) to a "Medical - Dental" category (or some similar expense category).  When you receive the reimbursement payment (covering half of the amount you paid the dentist) you should post it to the same "Medical - Dental" category that you used when you made the payment.

You don't (and should not) report that as income in Quicken and if you follow what I've indicated above it will not appear anywhere in Quicken as income.

Let me know if you have any followups or questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create a "Receivables" Asset type account, and post 1/2 the original as a split to that.
    Then, when you receive that payment, show it as coming from this account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @newsguygeorge

So it sounds like you make the payment (full payment) to your dentist and you likely are posting that payment (the full payment) to a "Medical - Dental" category (or some similar expense category).  When you receive the reimbursement payment (covering half of the amount you paid the dentist) you should post it to the same "Medical - Dental" category that you used when you made the payment.

You don't (and should not) report that as income in Quicken and if you follow what I've indicated above it will not appear anywhere in Quicken as income.

Let me know if you have any followups or questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• newsguygeorge
    newsguygeorge Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I'll take action on it.
  • newsguygeorge
    newsguygeorge Member ✭✭
    > @newsguygeorge said:
    > Thanks. I'll take action on it.

I did it and it works beautifully. Thank you again.
This discussion has been closed.