Cannot reconcile because transactions don't appear in both accounts. Why? What has changed?

A couple of thing to understand, most importantly is that all our bank accounts (within a single bank) are in trusts with one exception. Quicken should be trust agnostic. For example, in order to contribute funds to our IRAs, we have to first transfer the money into a generic savings account (not in the trust) then transfer the individual IRA amounts to the two IRA brokerage accounts.

In the past within Quicken, there were always two transactions for the transfer -- one in the account it came from and one in the account it went to. Both were reconciled in each account. Now it is not. I can enter a transaction (previously unrecorded) and I see nothing entered in the savings/transfer account but the entry appears in the correct brokerage account without a corresponding entry in the 'from' account. This makes it impossible for me to reconcile the savings/transfer account with the bank statements.

I don't understand what has changed and I can't find anyway of getting support from Quicken (which isn't surprising given past issues). Can anyone explain why I'm not seeing the transaction in both accounts?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For one such transfer, in the originating account, what value is in the "Category" field?  It should be the name of the other account, enclosed in square brackets, e.g. [savings account name]

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• obieephyhm
    obieephyhm Member ✭✭
    I've used Q for almost as long though I don't have your professional credo; I know that (at least in the past) when manually entering a transaction which involves another account - say, manually entering a missing transaction in the checking account that pays a credit card bill - the entry in the checking account essentially created a corresponding entry in the credit card account, each pointing to the other. At the time I asked the question, I was attempting to do just that -- owing to have a quicken product that doesn't download data consistently and I was ill for several months and fell behind manually downloading data.

I found that if I resorted the display, the missing data would appear. Don't know why nor why I had to keep doing it but, in the end, the data was all entered, reports generated and taxes completed.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps, is the receiving account filtered to only show certain transactions?  Click the RESET button that's just above the account register to see if that changes anything.  It can't hurt anything.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.