Windows - Change account type from Checking to Credit

I just setup a new account that should be a credit card account but it showing as checking and so is displays in the Accounts list as Banking. When I go to the Account Details, the account type: checking is not changeable.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @gary.tynes .  Unfortunately, MGS does not support Quicken for the GM credit card...at least not as of recently.  It sounds like they are planning to add Quicken support but have not provided a timeline for doing this.  You might want to read through the following thread regarding this: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909157/marcus-goldman-sachs.
    Unless and until MGS sets up Quicken support for this credit card your only option for this card in Quicken is to set it up as an Offline (manual) credit card account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @gary.tynes

What you are seeing (inability to change the "type" of an account) is the way Quicken is designed.  Once you set the "type" of a account (during the initial setup) you cannot change that.  Your only option is to setup a new account and chose the "credit card" type during setup.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• gary.tynes
    gary.tynes Member ✭✭
    Hi Frankx. When I set this account up, I never got prompted to select an account type. The first thing is to select a financial institution, in this case it was Marcus by Goldman Sachs that has the GM Rewards Card. GM just changed from Cap One to Marcus. It then asks me for the log in credentials. After it tries to connect, in this case it failed to connect, and I selected to enter transactions manually, it proceeded to create the account in Quicken as Checking.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @gary.tynes .  Unfortunately, MGS does not support Quicken for the GM credit card...at least not as of recently.  It sounds like they are planning to add Quicken support but have not provided a timeline for doing this.  You might want to read through the following thread regarding this: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909157/marcus-goldman-sachs.
    Unless and until MGS sets up Quicken support for this credit card your only option for this card in Quicken is to set it up as an Offline (manual) credit card account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To "Fix" such a problem you have a couple of choices.
    1. Delete account and recreate it (as in offline account).
    2. Create new offline account and use this procedure to move the transactions to the new account.  FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gary.tynes
    gary.tynes Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Thanks Chris, I was able to create it as an offline account. Don't setup new accounts very often and had missed that as an option. After I setup the new credit card account, I just individually move the two transactions I had from one to the other and then deleted the bad account.
This discussion has been closed.