Validate and Repair corrupts split entries

aa_jogger
aa_jogger Member ✭✭
Ran a "Shift Validate and Repair" this morning after noticing some suspicious entries and found that all of the transactions that I looked at that had split entries were now corrupted. The original entries had bogus tags and most of the alpha fields were corrupted and lots of additional trash split entries had been inserted. Luckily, I had a yesterday's back up and was able to recover the uncorrupted data.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    aa_jogger said:
    Ran a "Shift Validate and Repair" this morning after noticing some suspicious entries and found that all of the transactions that I looked at that had split entries were now corrupted. The original entries had bogus tags and most of the alpha fields were corrupted and lots of additional trash split entries had been inserted. Luckily, I had a yesterday's back up and was able to recover the uncorrupted data.
    Hello @aa_jogger,

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the Validate and Repair function changing transaction information. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community in search of a resolution.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is stored locally on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based service.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • jschend
    jschend Member ✭✭
    I had the same issue the other day and ended up just creating a balance adjustment to my accounts. The split transactions became corrupted for 2+ years of data and when I would attempt to fix the issue it would add amounts based on my current earnings. I attempted to create an archive and keep only the data from 2020 to current and that did not work. Unfortunately, my most recent back up is now coming up with the same data corruption. My files are stored on my computer.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version are you running .... Help --> About Quicken
    And... there was a major problem introduced with R39.17/21 back on March 4, 2022 - that corrupted Payroll splits and may have affected other splits and associated entries.  Running any kind of Validate only made things worse with Validate attempting to correct and fix the problems.
    Only fix - if this is the problem - is to install the later fixed release R39.23 - and Restore from PRIOR to 3/4/22 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aa_jogger
    aa_jogger Member ✭✭
    Update - It appears that running Validate and Repair did not cause the problem as the corruption appeared again in the "restored version" after I had done a series Find/Replace operations. It seems to "disappear" if I close and reopen the data file. Also noticing junk characters in the left most column of the screen which is usually blank on the "corrupted data file".

I'm running Version R39.23 Build 27.1.39.23
  • aa_jogger
    aa_jogger Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @aa_jogger,
    >
    > I am sorry to hear about this issue with the Validate and Repair function changing transaction information. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community in search of a resolution.
    >
    > Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is stored locally on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based service.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing more from you about this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

It's on the same local SSD drive as the version of Quicken that I'm running and see my update
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    aa_jogger said:
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @aa_jogger,
    >
    > I am sorry to hear about this issue with the Validate and Repair function changing transaction information. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community in search of a resolution.
    >
    > Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is stored locally on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based service.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing more from you about this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

It's on the same local SSD drive as the version of Quicken that I'm running and see my update
    @aa_jogger,

Thank you for continuing to inform us about the situation. I am sorry that this issue remains at large, for the moment. 

In situations such as these, we recommend restoring from a backup saved just prior to when you first noticed this problem occurring by going to File > Restore a Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that backups have been saved frequently by navigating to the same menu and selecting Copy or Backup File..., there should be a backup available to restore from. It sounds as though you may have already restored from a backup where the issue is no longer persisting, so we will proceed to the next series of steps involved in addressing this difficulty.

Go to Edit > Preferences then select Mobile & Web in the left-hand panel of the window that appears. Next, go to the Quicken Mobile & Web box in the right-hand side of the window and toggle the 'switch' next to the word Sync: to the OFF position.

I look forward to hearing from you once again after these steps have been followed.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aa_jogger Keeping your Q data file and your backup on the same drive is ill-advised. If, for any reason, that drive fails ... you've lost both.
    The recommended procedure is to backup to a USB drive, a CD or some other external device.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• aa_jogger
    aa_jogger Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @aa_jogger Keeping your Q data file and your backup on the same drive is ill-advised. If, for any reason, that drive fails ... you've lost both.The recommended procedure is to backup to a USB drive, a CD or some other external device.

The daily back up is on a separate drive
  • aa_jogger
    aa_jogger Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > @aa_jogger,
    >
    > Thank you for continuing to inform us about the situation. I am sorry that this issue remains at large, for the moment. 
    >
    > In situations such as these, we recommend restoring from a backup saved just prior to when you first noticed this problem occurring by going to File > Restore a Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that backups have been saved frequently by navigating to the same menu and selecting Copy or Backup File..., there should be a backup available to restore from. It sounds as though you may have already restored from a backup where the issue is no longer persisting, so we will proceed to the next series of steps involved in addressing this difficulty.
    >
    > Go to Edit > Preferences then select Mobile & Web in the left-hand panel of the window that appears. Next, go to the Quicken Mobile & Web box in the right-hand side of the window and toggle the 'switch' next to the word Sync: to the OFF position.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing from you once again after these steps have been followed.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

I don't have to restore the back up to fix the corruption. Simply exiting Quicken and restarting it seems to clear it up. And I spent a fair amount of time this afternoon watching for it to show up and I never saw it until I was away from my computer for about 30 minutes and it was there when I came back. Pretty sure it wasn't there when I got up but can't be certain but closing and reopening Quicken "removes it" so don't know what else to tell you.
This discussion has been closed.