How can I separate accounts from one Quicken subscription into two subscriptions?

Options
rjamer
rjamer Member ✭✭
I use Quicken for my personal finances as well as my condo association's finances. It's a very small association and I've set up separate accounts in Quicken for each use. They used to back up to separate files on my computer. When I moved to the subscription Quicken, it backed them up as one file to the cloud. I am moving and need to separate the accounts. Can I get another subscription, copy all the data over and then delete my personal accounts from the new subscription so I can leave it for the association to use? Is there an easier way to do this?

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options
    rjamer said: I use Quicken for my personal finances as well as my condo association's finances. They used to back up to separate files on my computer. When I moved to the subscription Quicken, it backed them up as one file to the cloud.
    Just wanted to clarify - Quicken Cloud - it is NOT a backup, and Quicken is NOT backing up your data to the cloud.
    Also, not sure what you mean ...They used to back up to separate files on my computer.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud
    Hopefully you are using the Quicken automatic backups - and also the Quicken manual backup menu commands.
    You should have a \BACKUP\ folder in the same location as your Quicken QDF data file.
    This screen is from the Windows version -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rjamer
    rjamer Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your quick response. I do have automatic backups turned on and there are many backups on my laptop. That said, there used to be two backup files one for the condo assoc. and one for my personal. Now there is just one backup file. So, I should be able to create a new Quicken subscription, load the backup file, and then delete the info unrelated to the condo assoc?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What you should have is two separate Quicken data files, one for your personal finances and one for the condo association. you really don't want to have the condo association's finances co-mingled with yours. you can have as many separate Quicken data files as you want, all with your one subscription.

If you used to have two separate data files and you merged them into one by importing them both into the same Quicken data file, that's where things went wrong; each should have been converted separately from the old Quicken to the current one.

In any case, I think you should now look at separating the data into two data files. If the condo association data is pretty minimal, it could be that you just start a ew data file and re-create the data in the new file, and then delete it from your personal file. If there's enough historical data to make that impractical, there's another approach you could follow…

In Quicken with your current co-mingled data, you can select File > Export > Quicken Transfer File (QXF). then do File > New and select Start from Scratch. Let it create a dummy account (select "My bank is not in the list") which you'll soon delete. Then select Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF), and have it import the file you previously exported. This will be a near duplicate of your existing Quicken data file. In this duplicate, delete the accounts in the left sidebar which are for your personal finances, leaving only the account(s) for the condo association. you will need to re-create any reports you prepare for the condo association, but now your data will be separate. You should use File > Rename to give this file a name which makes clear it's for the condo association. Once you're sure you have all the data for the condo association under control in this new file, go back to your regular data file which still contains both your  personal and the condo association data (use File > Open Recent). Now, you can delete the condo association accounts from this file, leaving only your personal data. This will complete the separation of your one data file into two separate, independent data files with your personal data and the condo association data. Again, you do not need to purchase an additional subscription to do this.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rjamer
    rjamer Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will have to try your second suggestion. The condo transactions go back to 2008! Mine go back even farther. Thanks!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Make an extra backup of your existing data file before you delete anything from it, just in case something goes wrong. But exporting the data, creating a new file, and importing the data into the new file shouldn't impact your existing data file at all. Best of luck!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rjamer
    rjamer Member ✭✭
    Options
    That worked great! Thanks for everyone's help!
This discussion has been closed.